Marlin X7 or Remington 788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marlin X7 or Remington 788

I'm in the market for a 243 caliber. I went to a local gun show yesterday and saw these two:

1. Marlin X7 with accutrigger synthetic
    2. Remington model 788

The remington looked very nice and in great shape. I dont' know too much about either of these models. I know that the big hype today is the accutrigger. My dad has the Remington in Model 700 which is a sweet rig. Didn't know how the 788 compares.

Thought I would ask the green screen on either of these. Other than these, I'm looking at Savage model 10 or 11 with accutrigger.

Post up your comments

I have the XL7 in 25-06 and it out shoots any Remington I have ever owned. It was also $100 cheaper when I got mine. They are good rifles for the money. The only downside to the Marlin that I could see is the stock is not as high quality as the Remington.
    Last edited by dac6933; 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I own both. I would go with the 788 between the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dac6933 View Post
        I have the XL7 in2506 and it out shoots any Remington I have ever owned. It was also $100 cheaper when I got mine. They are good rifles for the money.
        Is yours bolt action? If so, is it pretty tight on the action or loose? I've found most these days seem more loose than my dads older remington 700 bdl action that is as old as me

Comment

I have had 2 of the 700's. The old one I had was really tight and the newer one not so much. The quality of the gun is probably not as nice as the Remington, but mine shoots a hair under 3/4 out of the box with cheap Remington ammo. I have not got either 700 to get under 1inch no matter what ammo I tried.

Comment

I've shot the 788 since I was knee high, and love it. My daughter shot her first deer with it. And GOD willing, my son will too in a few years. I have no experience with the other.

Comment

I would take a Remmy 788 over a Marlin all day long.All my 788s are tack drivers.

Comment

788, no question!

Comment

The bolts on the higher pressure 788s weaken over time. The locking lugs are on the back instead of the ctg, and even remington wont work on them if you send it for repair. They will keep it and send you a gift gard to buy a 700. The 22-250, 223, and 222 are okay though.

Comment

788 x 1000. I'm pretty biased tho

Comment

I've owned and hunted with both, and here's my experience. Take it for what its worth.

I grew up shooting a Remington 788, in .308winchester. Killed many many white tail with it, after my dad hunted with it for 20+ years.

The Remington 788 is not, and has no similarities to the controversial(love 'em or hate 'em, there's no in between) Remington 700. It was made from i think '68 to the early/mid 80's. It was Remington's "budget" bolt-gun. Cheap pallet-wood stock, stamped metal magazine.... bolt that had locking lugs in the back, but had a 60-degree bolt rotation. Most gun-writer types called it "cheap" and other "non-compliments" like that. However, it outsold their flagship 700's, and by many/most accounts, would out-shoot the 700's too. Many believe Remington killed the product because of its out-shining their flagship. They were made in .44 Mag, .30-30(yes i mean .30-30), 7mm-08, .243, .223, and .222. There may have been .22-250 in there too.

However, with a custom trigger job, my dad's would shoot dime sized 5 shot groups at 100yds, all day long.

Downside, not many aftermarket parts(stocks, trigger groups, etc), and oem parts(firing pins, bolts, magazines especially) are hard to find.

I currently have a Marlin XL-7 in .30-06, wood stock. I like this new -06, and have put several deer on the ground with it. Including a 350+ Yd shoulder shot a couple years ago, and a 250 yd head shot this year. I average between 1 and 1.5" @100 yds with it, using regular Remington express ammo. I could probably do better with practice and handloads. The barrel does heat up really badly... more than 2 shots in 10 minutes will get you a string'ed group of about 3".(Yes the barrel is fully free floated, no binding on the stock.)

My dad has a black-stocked .270 xl7, and absolutely loves it.

My Opinion, though.... I would trade my Marlin away for a 788 .308 in good condition any day.

Comment

I had a 788 in .223 and I loved it, wish I wouldn't have sold it now!

Comment

They were made in .44 Mag, .30-30(yes i mean .30-30), 7mm-08, .243, .223, and .222. There may have been .22-250 in there too.

However, with a custom trigger job, my dad's would shoot dime sized 5 shot groups at 100yds, all day long.

Downside, not many aftermarket parts(stocks, trigger groups, etc), and oem parts(firing pins, bolts, magazines especially) are hard to find.[/QUOTE]

.308 and 6mm that's all the calibers. You can get a Timney trigger for them as well. Also we're manufactured from 67-83

243 308 and 7mm08 were offered in a carbine. 7mm only in a carbine

The 308 and 6mm were offered in a left handed model but still ejected to the right.

44 mag is prolly the rarest.

Not many 3030 bolt actions out there either.

Comment

223 is the rare one. I've seen and handled the 44 and 30-30. If you find a 223, buy it.

Comment

There's a 788 22-250 there shooters to. I wish I had one in 44mag

Comment

Working...
                              X