Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy: Stoeger Cougar 8040

Ready for a long, tall tale?

This time last year I was ready to buy my first handgun, had saved up some cash and Academy gift cards, and I'd been doing my homework. Landed on a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm, because of all the great things I'd read about them, made by Beretta, high quality, impressive list of perks for a mid-cost gun, etc. Run down to my local Academy, where I have previously seen and held this very pistol, and they're out of 9 and 40, only have a 45 left. I didn't want 45, so I decided to bide my time until they restocked.

They never did. I even had the guy at the counter to a state-wide search, there were only 5 in the whole state at that point. I obsessed over finding this gun for months and months, to no avail.

So, instead, I settled, and for my Father's Day present I bought myself a S&W Sigma 9, and have been really happy with it, truthfully. Did the trigger job on it myself, brought the trigger pull down substantially, and it's my family protection gun and goes where we go.

Now, fast forward to this past Christmas time, I picked up a Remington Model 721 at a pawn shop on a whim, a .270. Almost at the same time, I sold a H&R 243 to a fellow TBHer and bought a CVA Scout 7mm-08 from another TBHer (are you getting dizzy yet?!). I shot and sighted in the 7-08 and the .270 on the same day, and really preferred the 7-08 in terms of recoil, accuracy, overall fit and finish of guns, etc. So I figured I'd use the 7-08 the most and have an extra rifle as a back-up along with my trusty 30-30.

Last week, I found a guy on another forum that had a Stoeger Cougar in .40 for sale or trade, and no one was biting, so I threw out my Model 721 as trade bait. With some ammo and accessories on both sides, we found terms we could both be happy with and did the deal yesterday.

I can't wait to shoot this thing; if feels so good in the hand, nice weight, and I can't wait to find out what this rotating cam action barrel's all about. It's like Christmas came late!!

Congrats!
    You should have mentioned on here that you wanted to buy one. I've got one in .40 that I'm looking to trade for something else.

Comment

Doh...sorry, Jimmy.

Comment

No worries! It's a fun gun to shoot, you'll love it!

Comment

Working...
        X