Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dillon Precision 550 Press

Who's got one?

I bought one last week and have the .223 & 9MM die sets but have never used a progressive press and not quite sure how to set this one up. I've got on Dillon's website and downloaded the manual and watched the video of the press in action so I know the concept of it.

Anyone got any advice for this specific press? I've been reloading for about 4yrs so I know what to do but I've only ever used a single stage. I'm going to try and fiddle with the new one this weekend. And may even build a reloading bench to mount it on. Right now I'm just using a shelf and work bench for reloading and space is getting tight.

Let me know whatcha got!

550 is a great press. I am at least the second owner of mine, with probably 100k loaded on it.

Nothing to it really. First- deprime/size, second powder, third seating, forth crimp.

When getting the powder drop step up, I like to fill 10 shells and measure in total and divide by 10 to get an average. Go a little slow at first so you get a full smooth stoke. Make sure your not throwing powder.

Some times it could help to use case lube if your brass was shot out of an unsupported chamber(Glock). It makes a difference for me with 40.

I like to load all of my primer tubes before I start, I have 6-8. That way I don't have to stop after a couple hundred rounds. I usually load for an hour or two and seem to average 100 rounds per 15 minutes. For rifle I would generally go slower.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
      550 is a great press. I am at least the second owner of mine, with probably 100k loaded on it.

Nothing to it really. First- deprime/size, second powder, third seating, forth crimp.

When getting the powder drop step up, I like to fill 10 shells and measure in total and divide by 10 to get an average. Go a little slow at first so you get a full smooth stoke. Make sure your not throwing powder.

Some times it could help to use case lube if your brass was shot out of an unsupported chamber(Glock). It makes a difference for me with 40.

I like to load all of my primer tubes before I start, I have 6-8. That way I don't have to stop after a couple hundred rounds. I usually load for an hour or two and seem to average 100 rounds per 15 minutes. For rifle I would generally go slower.

Have fun.
      Thanks! Great info! That's twice as fast as I had anticipated.

The powder was my main question. I couldn't figure out how to measure the powder but what you said reassures me the way I was going to do it will work. I'm anxious to get this thing set up! I plan on loading a bunch of ammo when it's ready.

Comment

is it a manual turn or auto turn? i thought they were manual.

i have the LNL and it operates basically the same way. my priming portion is a PITA so i prime by hand.

Comment

It is manual index.

I pick up a bullet with my left hand, rotate it, place the bullet. Then while my right hand is pulling, my left can be grabbing the next bullet. Or at least that is how it seems in my head.

Comment

Yeah, I thought it was auto but it's manual after watching the video. No big deal to me. Still faster than a single stage.

Comment

They're junk. You should give it to me. I have a Lee I'd trade ya.

Ike

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex.308 View Post
                They're junk. You should give it to me. I have a Lee I'd trade ya.

Ike
                Haha! I got it from a lady who's son died and he used to reload. This dude had stuff that would rival Midway's stock on reloading equipment! There was about 10 of the 550's and they said they'd sold about half of em! I was amazed when I saw all of it!

Comment

The priming station on the 550 is simple as long as you remember to load the primers the correct way.

I have thought about upgrading, but the 650 is not worth the cash in my opinion. So it's 1050 or bust for me. Too bad I am not shooting all that much due to my new found Archery habit.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                    Haha! I got it from a lady who's son died and he used to reload. This dude had stuff that would rival Midway's stock on reloading equipment! There was about 10 of the 550's and they said they'd sold about half of em! I was amazed when I saw all of it!
                    Do they need to get rid of any more? I'm looking to upgrade

Ike

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex.308 View Post
                      Do they need to get rid of any more? I'm looking to upgrade

Ike
                      I'll check with them & let ya know.

Comment

let us all know and pricing please.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo View Post
                          let us all know and pricing please.
                          X2

Comment

I have 2 of them.......one set up for large primers and one for small primers. I love'em ! I like the manual indexing because I can back up if I have to. Start of slow, get your cadence down, and stay smooth on you handle stroke.......you'll be amazed at how much ammo you can load once you get your system down. Also.......the roller handle that Dillon sells is well worth the extra bucks.

Comment

Guys, I talked to the lady selling them and they had a sale today and sold most of what they had left. The rest she gave to a friend that reloads who helped her with the sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X