No announcement yet.

257 Weatherby Magnum questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can form 7mag brass into 257wby, and the biggest difference is the neck isnt as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
      you can form 7mag brass into 257wby, and the biggest difference is the neck isnt as long.
      How much too short? Does it come out during fireform?

Comment

it does not come out and it doesnt affect accuracy. for some reason, Roy likes long necks.

Comment

My Weatherby MK V is freebored and belted magnums headspace on the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by oneforthewall View Post
            How much too short? Does it come out during fireform?
            I have done it before. Necks are short and stay short. Accuracy not affected.

One plus is that you don't have to trim!

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
              I have owned 5 Weatherby Mark V in 257 and only one of them shot worth a darn and I reload. Most of the Weatherby's have head space issues and the 257 is very hard to get to shoot even 1 inch groups.

Now the Remington in 257 wby mag is a real shooter from what I have been told. I haven't owned one but if I was in the market for that caliber I would certainly look at the rem before I bought the Weatherby.
              x2

Comment

I have a little bit of advice on reloading for your .257.

One you may already know, is Nosler makes brass and its sized and ready to go out of the box.

more important thing to keep in mind when reloading for this caliber:

Don't try and seat the bullet out to reduce freebore.
                With the slow powders, and heavier bullets esp true.

At worse, you will get gas-blowby around the neck and even dented cases from the gasses.

this is because the all of the powder did not burn "in the time" expected. so to say.

because the bullet was not in far enough to let the pressure build.

at best it can also result in multiple "groups" when you are sighting in/target shooting.
                dont let the freebore thing bother ya. the Vanguard should be capable of MOA and better with little problem, and at max/near max loads.

also FWIW, I found that Barnes 80gr TTSX went right through hogs.. so a bit dissapointed with those. the hogs did not always DRT.

Comment

Working...
                X