460 S&W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

460 S&W

I’m thinking of getting a 460 S&W does anyone have any experience with hunting with them?

I am not set on 460. I’m considering other options as well. This will just be a fun gun and to hunt deer/hogs.

I’ve owned several and killed deer and hogs with them. Great caliber. Very heavy platform but that also helps with recoil. Of the ones I owned (3 different ones), my favorite was the very original SW 8.4” model.

Comment

Bft- do ittttttttt!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
        I’ve owned several and killed deer and hogs with them. Great caliber. Very heavy platform but that also helps with recoil. Of the ones I owned (3 different ones), my favorite was the very original SW 8.4” model.
        Would you go with a 8” or a 6” barrel? How much trade off for velocity and recoil is there?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post

Would you go with a 8” or a 6” barrel? How much trade off for velocity and recoil is there?
          Not enough drop in velocity to matter especially in that caliber. 6” would definitely be a ‘handier’ length to tote around. I’ve been dropping to 6” barrels lately and really liking them.

Comment

Somewhere out there is a guy with an “as new” .460 with a box of cartridges and only two missing !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Somewhere out there is a guy with an “as new” .460 with a box of cartridges and only two missing !
              are you that guy?

Comment

are you that guy?
                Not me, a hot loaded .45 Colt or .44 Rem Mag does everything I need. Although, I did have a couple TCs, one in .260 Rem and one in .375 Win. Sold them both when I started thinning the herd.

Comment

i had been eyeing the raging bulls since they released the 460. Easier to get and cheaper than an SW. Its just a itch i want to scratch and check a kill of my list with a pistol. If i thought it would get serious use i would go SW.

I have had ruger, raging bull, and SW in 44 mag. I like them all but i really did like the raging bull for comfort and shootability. So i wouldnt be scared to own another.

Comment

Really great caliber. It's not hard to shoot in a heavy, ported gun. Plus you can shoot 454 Casull and 45 Long Colt in it.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                      i had been eyeing the raging bulls since they released the 460. Easier to get and cheaper than an SW. Its just a itch i want to scratch and check a kill of my list with a pistol. If i thought it would get serious use i would go SW.

I have had ruger, raging bull, and SW in 44 mag. I like them all but i really did like the raging bull for comfort and shootability. So i wouldnt be scared to own another.
                      I’m considering the raging hunter. It’s only half the price of the SW.

Comment

I know Taurus has picked up their game in the last few years … but I don’t know that I trust them at 460 pressures.

Comment

I’m considering the raging hunter. It’s only half the price of the SW.
                          Raging Hunter is a deal, for sure. However, Taurus’s triggers are the worst in the handgun hunting world. And a crisp, light trigger is very important in my opinion, in this specific sport. SW may be expensive but they are worth every nickel and their triggers are both awesome out of the box, and easily tweaked with after market springs. If you go Taurus, I’d make sure you budget for a trigger job from a gunsmith. Just my opinion.

Comment

So the 460 can shoot .460, .454 casul, .45LC all out of the 460 S&W correct?

same diameter just different length cartridges

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                              So the 460 can shoot .460, .454 casul, .45LC all out of the 460 S&W correct?

same diameter just different length cartridges
                              Correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X