Question on thermal scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on thermal scopes

Does any manufacturer make a thermal that you can turn off thermal imaging and shoot in daylight? If not, why the hell not??!! Not so much to use during daylight hours but to make sighting in much easier. Seems like they would have thought that out better. I don’t have the highest end thermal but it’s tough to sight in when everything around is hot and extremely hard to make out a target. I use the hand warmer packets for targets to sight in and even still is sometimes tough

The one I have has day/night, but you have to sight both in separately. So, no help there. Not sure if other manufacturers are different.

Comment

I use foil tape and like it much better than hand warmer packets.

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
        I use foil tape and like it much better than hand warmer packets.
        Agree with this. Only way to go. You can make it as small as you want. I cut mine in about 1/2" squares.

Comment

Holosun has a thermal/red dot sight that should be hitting dealers soon. Not many reviews out, but doesn’t look bad for a 256x192 sensor at $1600.

Comment

I'll try the foil tape and see how it goes. Thanks guys

Comment

Try an AR500 steel plate painted white and a hand held propane torch. It works great and you can see your hits. Also a great way to practice during the day

Comment

A square of aluminum foil works for me.

Comment

Foil tape works pretty good. Still think you should be able to turn off thermal imaging and go to a daytime mode

Comment

I’m no engineer, but I’d think that would take a whole different imaging system. Which would add cost, weight, etc.

I could be completely wrong though. I’m just a broke redneck that could only afford nightvision 🤣

Comment

Pulsar makes a duo. Looks interesting. Not sure if you have to sight separately

Comment

I don't think I have ever gotten an answer on this and maybe I'm missing something on how thermals work. But as this thread indicates, everyone always talks about shooting something hot which is a challenge when it is hot outside. What am I missing about shooting something cold? Compared to solutions presented, it seems like it would be just as easy to throw a piece of metal (say a handful of pennies or bottle caps to switch out) in the freezer and/or cooler for a while and then shoot at it. What I'm hearing here is it is 100 degrees outside so get something 120 degrees to shoot at. Wouldn't it be just as easy to get something 40 or 60 degrees to shoot at when it is 100 outside?

Comment

Pulsar makes the duo. Go to the 10 min mark for videos on the link
                          also if you are wanting to shoot something “cold”, you can put an ice cube in a ziplock

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            I don't think I have ever gotten an answer on this and maybe I'm missing something on how thermals work. But as this thread indicates, everyone always talks about shooting something hot which is a challenge when it is hot outside. What am I missing about shooting something cold? Compared to solutions presented, it seems like it would be just as easy to throw a piece of metal (say a handful of pennies or bottle caps to switch out) in the freezer and/or cooler for a while and then shoot at it. What I'm hearing here is it is 100 degrees outside so get something 120 degrees to shoot at. Wouldn't it be just as easy to get something 40 or 60 degrees to shoot at when it is 100 outside?
                            Maybe use an ice cube for the target ?

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post

Maybe use an ice cube for the target ?
                              that was my thought as well. I don't see why it wouldn't work but I don't own a thermal or have much experience with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X