choosing barrel length and twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choosing barrel length and twist

I'm trying to decide on a combination to have SWS build an integrally suppressed barrel in .308 for my Rem700.
    I'm trying to pick a combination that will allow good accuracy with both subs and supers.
    Subs will likely be Hornady Sub-X 190's (for hunting at bow ranges)
    and supers will likely be high BC pills for target shooting out to as far as possible before they go transonic. (hopefully 800+)

My current thinking is 18" of 1:10 rifling before the 8" of baffles

Should I be looking for a faster twist barrel?

I can go as short as 14" of rifling but I'd give up another 100 fps on the supers.

Any of y'all guru's have some good insight?

I think your 1:10 twist rate is sufficient for what you want to do. The heaviest bullet loaded in a 30 06 was a 220 grain and in a 308 Win was a 200 grain in prior years, with barrels having a 1:10 or 1:12 rifling. Every rifle that I own that fires a .308 diameter bullet has a 1:10 rifling. Just remember that a heavy bullet fired at subsonic velocities may expand very little if at all, and act more like a FMJ bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
      I think your 1:10 twist rate is sufficient for what you want to do. The heaviest bullet loaded in a 30 06 was a 220 grain and in a 308 Win was a 200 grain in prior years, with barrels having a 1:10 or 1:12 rifling. Every rifle that I own that fires a .308 diameter bullet has a 1:10 rifling. Just remember that a heavy bullet fired at subsonic velocities may expand very little if at all, and act more like a FMJ bullet.
      Any subsonic hunting will probably be limited to predators anyhow. For Target shooting I'd really like to try my hand on long range steel hopefully 1,000yds.

Comment

If you are considering going 16”+ what is the advantage of integrally suppressing? At that point you could go with a traditional direct thread option for many of the common manufactures?

if you wanted to build an 8” barrel with 8” of baffles for a 300blk that seems like a much more hassle than it’s worth.

Comment

I’ve got an old .308 that belonged to my father that I’d like to suppress, if possible. It’s not currently threaded and I’m not sure I want to try to thread an old one. A new build sounds interesting, though, so tagging this convo.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            I’ve got an old .308 that belonged to my father that I’d like to suppress, if possible. It’s not currently threaded and I’m not sure I want to try to thread an old one. A new build sounds interesting, though, so tagging this convo.
            If your old rifle is a model 700 I may have a good threaded barrel for you once the new one gets built.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
              If you are considering going 16”+ what is the advantage of integrally suppressing? At that point you could go with a traditional direct thread option for many of the common manufactures?

if you wanted to build an 8” barrel with 8” of baffles for a 300blk that seems like a much more hassle than it’s worth.
              I already have a can for the 16” that I’m currently running. It makes for an annoyingly long package and is very front heavy. SWS integrals are light, compact and very accurate compared to the old style integral barrel design.

…plus the cool factor if I’m honest.

Comment

I have two builds from them in 7rm and 6cm. Two of the 308's they've built for friends are 16", X-caliber barrels, with 8" stacks. Both preferred Nosler AB 150's over anything else shooting in the 2450fps range last checked. Very accurate guns but on the slow side. I know from experience that a 16" 1:10 can stabilize 175's without issue. Not sure heavier than that but wouldn't hesitate to try. The 6cm I have is a R700 action, AG Visigoth stock, 18" barrel with a 7" stack I believe. 25 1/4" length tip to lug. It's a very handi size rifle and joy to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                  I have two builds from them in 7rm and 6cm. Two of the 308's they've built for friends are 16", X-caliber barrels, with 8" stacks. Both preferred Nosler AB 150's over anything else shooting in the 2450fps range last checked. Very accurate guns but on the slow side. I know from experience that a 16" 1:10 can stabilize 175's without issue. Not sure heavier than that but wouldn't hesitate to try. The 6cm I have is a R700 action, AG Visigoth stock, 18" barrel with a 7" stack I believe. 25 1/4" length tip to lug. It's a very handi size rifle and joy to shoot.
                  Good to know. I think with 18" I might to be able to get it up around 2600.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

I already have a can for the 16” that I’m currently running. It makes for an annoyingly long package and is very front heavy. SWS integrals are light, compact and very accurate compared to the old style integral barrel design.

…plus the cool factor if I’m honest.

Forgive my ignorance, but if you are talking about 14” of threaded barrel with 8” of baffles, what is the overall length to muzzle? I just thought integral was essentially a monocore suppressor welded to a barrel with a shroud? So not sure how that would be different from your 16” barrel, except it seems most of them are much lighter barrels.

furthermore, on threaded suppressors mono cores perform much worse than stacked baffles. How do they get the integral to perform? Just the increased volume?

Comment

The thing that makes SWS integrals better as I understand it is they start with a match barrel and machine it into a monocore suppressor with a large reflex area back to the receiver and add a shroud rather than welding a baffle stack to the end like you suggested. Some others really screw up accuracy by adding ports to the barrel. Bottom line is the are accurate, lighter and compact and “James Bond” cool IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but if you are talking about 14” of threaded barrel with 8” of baffles, what is the overall length to muzzle? I just thought integral was essentially a monocore suppressor welded to a barrel with a shroud? So not sure how that would be different from your 16” barrel, except it seems most of them are much lighter barrels.

furthermore, on threaded suppressors mono cores perform much worse than stacked baffles. How do they get the integral to perform? Just the increased volume?

The total length would be barrel plus baffel. So a 16" barrel with 8" stack (suppressor) would look like a solid 24" barrel. They are mono core mechined from one large solid barrel with a outer tube. The outer tube is light weight stainless that is held on with a threaded cap. Both the cap and the receiver ends are sealed with two large o-rings each that can be replaced if needed. It's a simple all in one design.

The most common argument is not being able to swap cans around on different guns. This is probably the only real negative I can come up with other than price. They have increased significantly over the last few years but what hasn't? They may appear somewhat gimmicky but are very impressive in a lot of ways. My son wants nothing to do with any other guns we have while hunting. He's smaller and has handled our 7mag for the last three season since 11 without a flinch. It's hard not wanting more after buying one.

In this episode of TFBTV's SHOT Show 2018 Range Day Coverage, Miles meets with Eric from Suppressed Weapon Systems.Eric shows us their offering of monolithic...

Comment

Working...
                        X