Over/Under Shotgun question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over/Under Shotgun question

My son is graduating high school in a few weeks and he's been getting some graduation money. He wants to buy an over/under 20ga. I have no experience with these guns, but after a quick internet search I see they range in price from $500 to over $10,000

What are some brands you recommend he look into? His budget is up to about $1500 or so.

I have not shot one, but I would really like to own a Franchi Instinct. Every one I have handled has fit me very well and they seem to be made well.

Comment

Get him down to a good gun shop that has a bunch on the shelf...don't overlook the used market.

I would get a sporting model over a traditional field.

Comment

I have a .410 Stevens 555E that is a pretty sweet shooter they are made by Savage.

Comment

I’d get a used citori, beretta, or Ruger red label. Should be able to find a used 686 in the 1500 range or any of the others. I’d personally go used over new.

Comment

Cant go wrong with a Browning Citori.

Comment

Whatever you choose, be sure it fits him. Shotgun fit is very important because it’s usually a fast mount and shoot, no time to settle in like rifle shooting. For instance, a Browning field grade fits me very well, the sporting model does not. I can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a Beretta, as much as I’d like to. My Beretta auto loader fits me fine, as do all Remingtons and most others. The fit is in the stock !

One way to judge fit, without actually shooting the gun, is to close your eyes and mount the gun quickly aiming it at something toward the ceiling. Open your eyes when the gun is mounted and if it fits, you should be looking right down that rib, with very little of the rib showing toward the end of the barrel. It’s not bad to have it shoot a little high, but not too high. The best way, if you can, is to shoot it on a pattern board. Draw a 30” circle, (you can use an old bed sheet), mount and shoot several single shots and then find the most dense part of the pattern. That’s where you are shooting with that gun and if it’s not pretty well centered then that stock doesn’t fit you very well. Good luck, you won’t have any trouble finding a nice gun for $1500, but be sure it fits !

If there are any gun clubs with sporting clays in your area, that would be a good place to start.
              Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-13-2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I have a good number of o/u’s in different brands. My Franchi SL in 28 gauge is my current favorite and well within his budget. Different brands fit differently so have him try before he buys.

Comment

Originally posted by BLee15 View Post
                  I’d get a used citori, beretta, or Ruger red label. Should be able to find a used 686 in the 1500 range or any of the others. I’d personally go used over new.
                  I've shot clays with all of these and my favorite by far is the red label. Its no longer in production and the hardest of the 3 to find.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfcoast200 View Post
                    Cant go wrong with a Browning Citori.
                    +1

Citori is (probably) the best entry level O/U out there.

Comment

If he can find a good browning that would be my recommendation

Comment

i just bought a Franchi Instinct SidePlate 28ga and shot it better than my 12 and 20 other brands at sporting clays last weekend. it's a sweet gun and looks good. it was in the $2300 range. i would think their regular line in 20 would be just as good and around $1500. this one just had fancy wood and engraving

go to a big store and shoulder a bunch of guns. there is a big difference if feel. i also prefer ejectors over extractors

Comment

I don’t know much about them. But I do know I have a Citori my grandfather gave me on my 2nd birthday that still shoots great, looks great, and has never missed a beat.

In my limited experience, I with echo the others and say go find a Browning Citori that fits his needs and rock it.

Comment

As others mentioned, go shoulder a couple. If you are close, head over to Brileys and look a couple over.

Comment

Browning or Beretta. Both will be over your budget but you will have a gun that will last.

Comment

Working...
                              X