Handgun Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handgun Hunting Thread

I’m starting a new thread for us handgun hunters and if everyone agrees, I’m thinking we just have one ongoing thread vs. new one each year since we are a small bunch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8190.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	619.3 KB
ID:	26789462 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8189.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	26789461

Outstanding morning in central Texas. Took this boar right at daybreak with my new Freedom Arms M83 in 41 magnum. Load was 210 XTP over H110. Shot was about 55 yards perfectly broadside and hit the shoulder. Complete pass through and about a 25 yard recovery.​

Comment

Complete pass through with a 44? Geez. And this whole time I’ve been worried if I shoulder punched one with a 44 it wouldn’t go through.

Great shooting Sir!

I will contribute this year… at some point. Haha

Comment

That .41 Mag is my fav of the rimmed straightwall mags. And it's hard to beat with that 210gr XTP in front of some H110.

Comment

CVA Scout V2 6.5Grendel with 14” barrel. Burris 2-7x32 scope. 65 yds through heart. 30yd run and flopped over

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8205.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	26789953 Another great morning and the last day of spring Turkey season. Shot this gobbler with my Freedom Arms M83 in 41 magnum. Hand loaded 210 XTP at about 20 yards. Walking away from me in full strut and made a perfect Texas Heart Shot. Zero meat loss and zero trailing to do. Gobble gobble.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
              Complete pass through with a 44? Geez. And this whole time I’ve been worried if I shoulder punched one with a 44 it wouldn’t go through.

Great shooting Sir!

I will contribute this year… at some point. Haha
              Not quite the same, but I’ve shot several pigs and a cow elk with a .44 lever action with 310gr flat nose gas check bullets. Only had one that did not pass through.

Comment

The only turkey I ever killed with a handgun was also with a .41 mag, but an S&W Model 57. He flew off about a hundred yards and dropped out of the sky dead. He was hard to find in the brush, took us probably a half hour, but my grandson spotted his tailfeathers sticking up. Shot him with a regular old softpoint and I’m sure it was in and out with no expansion.

Nice looking bird and good eats Randy !

Comment

IN! Way to get it started Randy! Hope God's Will allows me to post some success pics soon....

Comment

I got my daughter into handgun hunting last year using a Ruger SBH Bisley 44 with a red dot. Hopefully we can get a few pigs before deer season starts up.

Comment

I always love the handgun thread you start. Sure wish I hunted in Texas because I’d be buying a rig. I just don’t hunt enough in Iowa to justify the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        I always love the handgun thread you start. Sure wish I hunted in Texas because I’d be buying a rig. I just don’t hunt enough in Iowa to justify the expense.
                        Deer hunting there with a handgun is great sport. Been doing it in MN for over 20 years and never get tired of it.

Comment

This is something I've wanted to try. My FIL has a Ruger 44mag topped with a low power scope. I've thought about it for years to try and kill a deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                            This is something I've wanted to try. My FIL has a Ruger 44mag topped with a low power scope. I've thought about it for years to try and kill a deer with it.
                            Try it just one time! Shoot it a few times over the summer, and get proficient out to say 50ish yards. Any jacketed bullet will work fine for deer. Then carry it with you all season. Eventually you’ll get a shot at a doe, spike, pig, etc. my guess is you will instantly be hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post

Try it just one time! Shoot it a few times over the summer, and get proficient out to say 50ish yards. Any jacketed bullet will work fine for deer. Then carry it with you all season. Eventually you’ll get a shot at a doe, spike, pig, etc. my guess is you will instantly be hooked.
                              i also have a Ruger .357 revolver (open sights) that I’ve hardly ever shot. I really need to shoot these safe queens more.

When you say jacketed ammo- you mean any solid point?

Comment

Working...
                              X