Muzzleloader Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader Opinions

I want to buy a muzzleloader and don’t know where to start. I am going to put a scope on it and would like to be able to shoot 200-300 yards. I am a bit flexible on price, but I want to buy a quality gun. What do you all recommend? Say budget around $2,000.

Google Jeff Hankins, he does smokeless.
    I have wanted a flinter for a while.
    I have used caplocks and inlines but not yet a flintlock.

Comment

Will do, thank you.

Comment

Take a look at Woodman Arms (https://www.woodmanarms.com/index.php). Great rifles, easy maintenance and very accurate. For the distance you want to reach I would look at their .45 cal version. Also the .45 cal is capable of being used with smokeless powder which is a plus!

Only downside is typically the wait to get your rifle after ordering is a bit long but I do know they are working to reduce the wait time. Even with the wait it’s well worth it for their rifles.

Comment

I really like my Remington ultra- muzzleloader

Comment

Consider a TC Encore rifle with a Muzzleloader barrel. Not only can it be a smokepole, but you can add other caliber barrels and make the gun quite versatile. The Encore frames and barrel would run around $800-1000 leaving lots of room for accessories and other caliber barrels considering your budget.

Comment

I was looking at these, pretty cool system with the cut down 308 cartridge and primer. What bullet do you use with it?

Originally posted by merlin View Post
              I really like my Remington ultra- muzzleloader

Comment

Where are you going to be hunting with the muzzleloader? Certain areas/States have different rules on what is allowed, primers, powder, projectile and sights/scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  Where are you going to be hunting with the muzzleloader? Certain areas/States have different rules on what is allowed, primers, powder, projectile and sights/scope.
                  Kansas and New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampasas View Post

Kansas and New Mexico.
                    I've not hunted either State, but I took this direct from the New Mexico website-

Muzzleloader, bow or crossbow only: Any sporting arm in which the charge and projectile(s) are loaded through the muzzle. Only blackpowder, Pyrodex or equivalent blackpowder substitute may be used. Use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Only iron sights are allowed on muzzle-loading rifles when used during a muzzleloader hunt. Scopes, red dots and all other optical sights are prohibited. Hunters may also use any bow or crossbow. Arrows and bolts must have broadheads (fixed or mechanical) with cutting edges. Sights on bows and crossbows may not project light. No drugs may be used on arrows or bolts, and they cannot be driven by explosives, gunpowder or compressed air.

Restricted Muzzleloader deer: Only a muzzle-loading rifle using open sights, black powder or equivalent propellant and firing a full bore diameter bullet or patched round ball is legal. The use of in-line ignition, scopes, and smokeless powder are prohibited. Bows and crossbows are legal during restricted muzzleloader deer hunts.

Comment

Muzzleloaders using black powder or equivalent are gonna peter out at about 150 yards. Watch some YouTube vids about longe range with a muzzy, it will be an eye opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Muzzleloaders using black powder or equivalent are gonna peter out at about 150 yards. Watch some YouTube vids about longe range with a muzzy, it will be an eye opener.
                        Especially with a conical or round-ball.

Comment

Muzzle loaders we’re not intended for long range work, kinda like boys weren’t intended to be girls. But todays culture is changing all that, sadly.

Comment

I shoot 250 grain Remington sabots with accutip. They were hard to get last year so I used some Barnes that looked identicle. Made 2 neck shots

Comment

Working...
                            X