Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ruger American Gen 2 in 450 Bushmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American Gen 2 in 450 Bushmaster

Finally got me a 450 this past weekend. It’s a Ruger American Gen 2 model. Looking for some scope and ammo suggestions for this rifle. I’m thinking this would make a decent deer/hog truck gun. Might even set it up with a thermal or a NV set up. Really open to ideas.

I figured someone had one of these

Comment

Don’t have one but if I did, I would be looking at a LPVO to put on it. There are numerous 1-8 options, and some 1-10s out there. Illuminated reticle. 1x or the other low power options is nice for hitting pigs on the move. 8 or 10x is plenty to make a good shot on a deer at 100yds. Not sure what the usual shooting “range” on a 450 is, I feel it has somewhat of a rainbow trajectory? Assume 200yds or less? 8 or 10x would do the job at those ranges.

Comment

That’s a 1 shot thermal gun without a brick sized brake on it. It will obliterate pigs though

Comment

Leupold VX-3 2-8x36

Comment

Factory brake on it. From what I have read, it’s a 150yd max gun. Mostly brush where I hunt so the low power scope idea sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
              Factory brake on it. From what I have read, it’s a 150yd max gun. Mostly brush where I hunt so the low power scope idea sounds good to me.
              You have read wrong. I have killed deer past 150 with mine and would be prepared to kill one at 250 yards.Use the factory 250 SST’s. Had a 3-9 vx1 Leupold now I have 4-14 cheap scope.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post

You have read wrong. I have killed deer past 150 with mine and would be prepared to kill one at 250 yards.Use the factory 250 SST’s. Had a 3-9 vx1 Leupold now I have 4-14 cheap scope.
                Good to know. I would have probably pushed it past 150 if needed.

Comment

I am not a huge vortex guy, but maybe something like this?

Comment

My son just bought a gen 2 Ruger 450 bushy also. Changed factory brake and put on a Next Level Armament brake, Boyds thumbhole stock, and a caliber specific Leupold VX3 HD with CDS (ballistic calculator). Using Barnes 250gr TSX copper ammo. He was putting them in one hole at 100 yards.

Comment

If you hand load most factory loads are not even scratching the possibility of this round. Even though I hand load I am a dumb@$$ for not having dies for mine.
                      I would say that the real effective range would be closer to 300. The range is really dependent on memorizing drop charts. After the bullets go past 200 is where it really starts to drop. The energy is there to kill deer much further. So if you could increase the velocity you will increase the range. Because of the B.C.’s after 200 you will still run into this issue.
                      I can tell you for certainty that when you hit a deer with a 250 grain bullet you definitely know that deer has been hit.
                      I really love this round. My daughters, friends, some of my friends kids and myself have killed deer with mine.

Comment

Unfortunately I don’t reload. Going to try some different ammo when I get a chance to get some. I figured the heavy bullet weight I see for the 450 would be good hog rounds.

Comment

I have a Gen 1 model I dropped the trigger weight, added a 3-9×50 Leopold and it will shoot out to 300 easy from a good rest. 1-200 with a 250 gr bullet I would not think twice to shoot a deer or pig but like others have said it will tear whatever you shoot up. The first doe I shot would have taken both front legs off if the skin didn't hold it together. They are fun with a suppressors and heavy subs like the makers bullets

Comment

Working...
                          X