Calling my Remington 700 experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling my Remington 700 experts

Need some help from Remington 700 experts. Maybe Cajun Blake will see this. I acquired a 700 BDL 7rem mag. Stamped on the barrel stainless steel. Looks like Remington made magnum calibers from 1962-1970 with stainless barrels then coated over them blue. Serial number just has a K on it which I think is 1963 based on other things about the gun. Only has 5 number serial number on the receiver. Does that info seem correct and are these guns have anymore collectors value than standard 700?

No idea about collector's vallue, but pretty sure the first stainless barrels were, in fact, "blued".

Comment

Did not know that about the stainless

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        Did not know that about the stainless
        Me either. Found out digging around.

Comment

I’m no 700 expert but do know that Remington did use stainless for some of the 700 barrels during that time. You can also distinguish them as the blueing color will be different on the barrel vs the receiver. That does look like an early 700 as it has the pressed checkering.

Comment

Magnum chamberings (.264 WM, 7 REM Mag, and 300 WM ) were done during the first year of production - 1962. They had a 23.5” barrel. My records indicate the last SSB was done around 1971. Pretty much all of these barrels were finished in blue, and stamped “Stainless”.

text me the SN and I’ll confirm exact date. K is not part of the SN. (Three37/303/for:for/3-seven

6-digit SN’s started around Feb 1964. The last 5-digit SN was completed around Jan ‘64
            Last edited by Cajun Blake; 03-30-2024, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Yella’s rifle dates back to around Feb 1963. Within the first year of production (March 1962)

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Yella’s rifle dates back to around Feb 1963. Within the first year of production (March 1962)
                Thanks for the info and history lesson Blake!

Comment

What is the barrel code on the left side?

Comment

Originally posted by farlow View Post
                    What is the barrel code on the left side?
                    K 41 are the only thing I have on the barrel

Comment

Tore it down and cleaned it. It had definitely been a while since it had been torn down and cleaned. But the metal cleaned up pretty good. Looks pretty good for almost 60yr old rifle. Some before and after pics.
                      couple things I got from Blake it has a notch at the back of the action so it could use stripper clips and 2 screws on the left side of the action where a miller target sight could be added when they were used for sniper rifles.
                      has 23.5in barrel which was 1yr only they went to 24in after that.
                      I found this stuff interesting maybe some others will also.
                      once again thanks Blake!

Comment

Great transformation!

thank you for the history lessons Gents!

Comment

It sure did clean up nice 👍 and great info as always

Comment

Thanks for posting! I have my Dads 700 from approximately that same time frame so now I’m curious about its details

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Thanks for posting! I have my Dads 700 from approximately that same time frame so now I’m curious about its details
                              Same here. I recently inherited all my parent’s guns; among them, a couple of Rem 700s. With this new information, I plan to take a closer look at them later this week.

Thanks, CB!

Comment

Working...
                              X