Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Supersonic round with suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank y’all for all the input.

Comment

I have a 20" 308 and it is noticeably louder with supersonic than my 22" 6.5 CM when shooting suppressed. I think it is that the powder is not completely burned when it exits the 20" barrel. I wear plugs or muffs when shooting supersonics suppressed, but am thinking of not even using suppressor if I have to use hearing protection anyway. I sure don't want to load up the suppressor with unburned powder.
      Now, when shooting subs suppressed I don't wear any hearing protection. That goes for 308 or 300 blk subsonic loads.
      When I decided to get a suppressor a few years ago, I then had to get a threaded rifle. I didn't know at the time that supersonics were that load with a suppressor. That was 4 rifles ago.
      On my 308, I shoot supersonics unsuppressed and subsonics suppressed.

Except for 300 blk...I shoot both supers and subs suppressed and don't really need hearing protection. The supers sound about like a 22 LR HV and the subs sound like a BB gun.
      Last edited by El Paisano; 04-07-2024, 10:23 AM.

Comment

calibers don't matter.. barrel length and powder burn do .. 44 gr of powder in a 308 vs 44 gr in 6mm creed , in same length barrel through a 30 cal can will be so close that you'd need a real good db meter to tell the difference .. to the shooter , a bolt gun with a 22" barrel and quality can will sound great with the bonus of the "phone book slam" sound when you hit the target... never gets old . shorter you go , louder it sounds . i used to have a 16" remington 308 and a 26" savage ... same can.. world of difference in the sound.

Comment

Working...
        X