Supersonic round with suppressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersonic round with suppressor

Looking for suggestions on a deer cartridge. Suppressor will be an Omega 300. After doing some research, I will be using supersonic ammo instead of subs. I’m curious to know what round y’all have found to be the “quietest” while shooting supers out of a can? Average shots are between 75-150 yards.

Personally, everything I’ve shot 308 and down sounds about the same through my cans. Cans do a great job at suppressing muzzle blast, but they do nothing to quiet down super sonic crack. What’s your goal for wanting the quietist? Is it follow up shots or ??

Comment

Honestly just for hearing comfort. Not worried about follow up shots for deer. This is my first can. My original reason for purchasing was for use with hogs. Just doing some homework before buying a threaded barrel bolt action for deer.

Comment

I've been killing all my recent deer with a 16.5" 700 AAC in .308...not that much louder than the 300bo & a much superior round.

Comment

Following

Comment

Something like a 308 with an 18” barrel will give pretty good results with most suppressors. I shoot a Ruger American Predator for my suppressed hunting rig and it is pretty quiet with supers, all things considered. Really happy with it for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
              Something like a 308 with an 18” barrel will give pretty good results with most suppressors. I shoot a Ruger American Predator for my suppressed hunting rig and it is pretty quiet with supers, all things considered. Really happy with it for the price.
              Hard to beat this setup

Comment

308, 6.5 CM, common stuff is fine. I shot a good little boar with my 6.8 SPC last night and sound was super comfortable even shooting right next to the outdoor shower's tin sidewall. Seems like shorter barrels are typically a little louder. My 6.8 has a 16.5" barrel though and it's fine, probably due to being a pretty slow cartridge I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                  I have the same and it works very well. I am Impressed with the accuracy of that Ruger.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post

I have the same and it works very well. I am Impressed with the accuracy of that Ruger.
                    Likewise

Comment

3006 all you need hoss!!!1!1!!

Comment

Look up Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP. make sure to include the ‘SP’.

i have it in .308 and it is lights out for a production rifle.

Comment

.308, 7mm-08

Comment

The way I think of it, and I’m no expert here but I did stay at a holiday inn 3 weeks ago, we are trying to minimize hot gasses exiting. That’s our “noise”. So a decent length barrel(18-20” for a 308) and a decent size can(girth and length….we all know it) will yield you the best results.

Go with a 16” barrel and it will be louder than a 18” barrel with the same can. Go 20” barrel and it will be quieter than a 18” with the same can. Again… I’m no pro but it’s how I think about it when I try to maximize it.

7mm-08 has a smaller bore diameter than 308, so less room for gasses to escape with the same given barrel length. Might it be a smidge louder than a 308 of equal barrel length? I dunno… but in my mind I say yes although we may not be able to tell the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post

Mine is a tack driver. Yes you can tell it’s a cheaper rifle, yes the stock leaves some to be desired. But I don’t worry about it getting knocked around or scuffed up, I did some polishing on the trigger and swapped the weight adjustment spring. Trigger is plenty more than adequate for me both in overall feel and how heavy/light it is(I had to turn it up as it would fire as soon as the blade safety was in, have it set to about 2lb now). Light coat of 10w-30 on the bolt took away the zipper noise and like I said it’s a tack driver. If I do my part it will put 3 of my 150gr Sierra gameking handloads in 3/4” at 100yds.

Comment

Working...
                              X