Heck of a gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck of a gift

My hunting buddy chad was showing me some guns he just inherited some mint condition shotguns and a fabulous sig 375h&h , then he pulled out a Winchester m70 pre64 270 and asked what do you think about her ? I love old school Winchester and “said wow I love those “ much to my surprise he said “ I know she is all yours, one condition, you bring her with us to Africa and promise to never sell her “ & “ I love you brother “
    well I was speechless ( and kinda misty typing this) !!
    now I just need to figure out if I should restore the stock to original ( 40 years of sitting in a gun safe added a little character to the stock )​
    Attached Files

thats when winchesters were really winchesters !!

Comment

I say leave as is, scope it and shoot something.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        I say leave as is, scope it and shoot something.
        Yep!
        But apparently .270 don’t offer enough versatility as a 30/06.

Comment

Keep it original and use it. I'd find a good old era correct weaver k series scope for it.

Comment

I would definitely keep it as is, as all of those scuffs/scars just add character to a great gun and a piece of history. Considering your friend's generosity and the story behind the gun, I would want to keep it as original as possible, except by adding a scope in anticipation of your trip to Africa. You've definitely got a great friend!

Comment

I would have to agree

Comment

Check out pre64win.com. I believe that’s all they do is restore originals

Comment

Keep it (original), shoot it, and enjoy it.

Comment

I have my grandpaws old 06 left it all original except the recoil pad was a brick so that got replaced. Pretty cool pulling out a 60s era rifle at camp and seeing the old timers eyes light up

Comment

The only way I would restore it is if it were restored to exactly like factory original as new. Similar to what you see done on the TV series The Gunfather.

Comment

I don’t know…if it were me, I think I’d want to see some of the old luster restored in that stock. I get what those of you who are saying that the blemishes add character, but there’s “character” and then there’s just years of wear and tear. It just looks sad to me.

Comment

I’d coat it heavy in citristrip and take it to bare wood & see what you got. Wipe on your closest matching stain, and follow that with about 4 coats of Tru-Oil. While it’s apart I’d drop a Timney trigger in her and replace that butt pad. After it’s back together I’d mount a Leupold VX3-HD 4.5-14x40 on her and let her bark for another 60 years wearing a new dress, jewelry, and shoes.

Comment

Working...
                          X