Ballistics App??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballistics App??

I haven't opened my Strolok in forever. It's gone now. What's the best ballistics app out there now? Need to get my gun dialed for a mule deer hunt in November. (If I get drawn otherwise an elk hunt)

I use Ballistic: Advanced Edition​. Am generally pleased with it.

Comment

I've been using Geoballistics for several years and like the format better than most of the others i've tried.

Comment

I too use Ballistic AE

Comment

Ballistic AE for me also.

Comment

I switched over to the Hornady app when Strelok dropped off. I use Geoballistics on occasion as well.

Comment

What do y'all mean Strelok is gone? I'm still using it, do I need to switch?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                If you still have it you can keep using it. Otherwise it's been blocked by the gov because the creator is russian... sanctions on arms dealers etc.

Don't mind the hornaday app for what i do with it. Lapua has some cool features but not user friendly in my eyes. Haven't wanted to spend the money on applied ballistics for the phone but works great on the kestrals I've used at prs matches

Comment

I lost it because my phone offloaded apps that weren’t in use after a certain amount of time. When I tried to reload it, the app was no longer available.

Comment

Honest question. I see guys using ballistic apps for hunting setups all the time. I have a Gunwerks Br2 RF that I can input my data in and it'll calculate everything I need for my correct distance to dial for regardless of where I hunt. Just a simple push of button and 2 second later I have my BDC correction. I do use a ballistic app when setting up a gun at the range and use it for comparison to my RF. Is it that most guys use a ballistic app for hunting because it's cheap and don't have to spend $$ on a RF that you can input data in? I'm seeing more and more affordable RF with Ballistic input capabilities. I'm just asking and not trying to stir anything up. Cause I know technology improves daily so just something I was thinking about the other day talking to a new Long Range shooting buddy.

Comment

I don't "shoot long range" so just use the apps for general knowledge, help with choosing projectiles and knowing speeds downrange and such. Once I have a starting point I'll blow up a few milk jugs to verify things. Once I understand how the rifle behaves with altitude and temp changes and such I feel confident shooting minute of Elk vitals at my max range I'm good. Zero chance you'll ever see me punching buttons on my phone before shooting an animal. You also won't find me flinging 800 yard shots either, 500 I'm confident in and 600 would be stretching it in perfect conditions only.
                      Last edited by justletmein; 03-20-2024, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I don't "shoot long range" so just use the apps for general knowledge, help with choosing projectiles and knowing speeds downrange and such. Once I have a starting point I'll blow up a few milk jugs to verify things. Once I understand how the rifle behaves with altitude and temp changes and such I feel confident shooting minute of Elk vitals at my max range I'm good. Zero chance you'll ever see me punching buttons on my phone before shooting an animal. You also won't find me flinging 800 yard shots either, 500 I'm confident in and 600 would be stretching it in perfect conditions only.
                        Thanks for sharing your input.

Comment

I don’t normally get an opportunity to shoot long range for hunting either, but I use a ballistic app for developing a drop or dope chart (and wind hold) for every rifle and load that I shoot. I’m a stickler for precise shots at whatever range I’m shooting from, so need a precise drop chart for each load. For example, if I want to make a neck or head shot at 100 yards or 350 yards or drop a skunk or coon at 400 yards, I have to have an accurate drop chart. I develop my drop charts initially via the ballistic app and then tweak by ground truthing.

Comment

The extent of my ability and rifles (in a hunting situation) is not more than 500 yards. I can make shots farther, but in the excitement of the hunt, I'm not confident out there. I'm not super confident between 300 and 500, but I can get it done. I used strolok to get my drop data and my BDC yardages.

Comment

Working...
                            X