No announcement yet.

Who hunts with subsonic ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are better off using lighter faster bullets unless you plan on walking up to them. Sub sonic ammo typically uses heavy slow projectiles, hence, limited range. Just my opinion.

Comment

Has anyone here looked at the 8.6 BO?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        I know it varies dependant on the grain but if you are zero'd in at 100 how high will you be at 50?
        a couple inches. I have my 220gr BO subs zero at 75. Its about 2-3 high at 50, 3" or so low at 100. Rarely have pigs not run off if shot more than 50yds away.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
          Has anyone here looked at the 8.6 BO?
          Yes, it has double the energy of a 300 BO. I thought about that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Yes, it has double the energy of a 300 BO. I thought about that as well.
            What I liked is you can take an "AR-10" in 308 and change the barrel and you have an 8.6, everything else stays the same. But the good barrels are pricey. From what I've gathered Faxon barrels are 1 to stay away from.

Comment

I have had some success at shooting hogs in the head with a suppressed Ruger Mark IV and .22LR subsonic. I have had the herd scatter a few yards and settle back in. Doesn't happen all the time but it has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucks&Ducks View Post
                I have had some success at shooting hogs in the head with a suppressed Ruger Mark IV and .22LR subsonic. I have had the herd scatter a few yards and settle back in. Doesn't happen all the time but it has happened.
                There is no substitute for good shot placement.

Comment

Another thing you have to contend with using a thermal is the sight height. On my Hogster on my Ruger Ranch, the center of the objective is.2.89" above the center of the bore. That results in the rise and fall of the bullet being much more pronounced than a regular scope mounted 1.5" above the center of the bore. This makes range estimation and hold over much more critical and difficult.
                  Particularly for shorter range shooting in areas without a lot of brush, I much prefer to use the thermal as a hand held scanner, and mount a scope (with illuminated reticle) or a red dot low on the rifle using a bright hunting green light for illumination of the target.

Comment

get used to disappointments. I've been shooting BLK since before it was called that and you had to cut and form brass.. i've gone through many boxes of 500 SMK 220gr . the facts are ... sight in at 100 yards ... use a mil dot scope ... then from 50 to 200 it's 1 mil in either direction every 25 yards .. so if pig is at 150 , it's 2 mil up .. at 50 .. 2 mil down ... and so on . so based on this info , now imagine a thermal scope.. i use a trijicon reap IR ... you'll need something with a rangefinder to be able to determine if it's a big pig far away or a small one closer ... because every 25 yards of misjudgment , that's one. mil off target. My scope was $8k new and it doesn't have a correct mil reticle that accurately represent during zooming , nor does it have a rangefinder ... lastly , once you shoot once and the phone book smack is heard .. the rest of them split and your lead on a subsonic round increases dramatically . So for me , i love the round and have used it extensively ... my setups however were feeders with cell phone cameras where i could sneak up to a know distance and take precise shots without spooking other feeders nearby .. and i only engaged one target at a time unless one of them decided to come after me in revenge.

I think the black tip berger 110's or hornady vmax 110's supers are way more forgiving with thermal, at least for me ... i have a profile setup for stalking and that's what i use.

and as far as people asking about the 8.6blk , i have a 338 spectre .. pretty much shoots the same 300gr smk .338 , just out of a 10mm magnum case necked down to fit in a standard ar15 platform ... 300gr subsonic is 300 gr subsonic ... the ballistics are pretty much identical the the 300blk to 200 yards .. it bucks the wind better @400 .. impact on pig is brutal as it thumbles. i shot a 260lb sow (weighed on a scale) once and dropped it like a stone.. but frankly the 220smk would have probably done the same.

either way , just a little bit off and they will run away and die a mile away with close to no blood trail..

recap .. shoot once , know distance.. quietly , it will do just fine .. any other scenarios ... go super or another caliber all together , unless of course you like a challenge, that's fine too ... i'm currently toying with 6x45 and so far results have been impressive .

I have a bergara encore Barrel in 300blk i actually mated to an action i'm actually thinking of putting back in circulation to start using again...

Comment

Working...
                    X