6.5 Creedmoor COAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Creedmoor COAL

I have a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. With factory ammo I sometimes have feeding problems.. from clip/magazine to chamber.
    I reloaded the following loads but had to shorten the COAL for smooth feeding:
    1. Barnes 120 TSX 2.75"
    2. Hornady 140 gr SP Interlock 2.72"
    3. Hornady 160 grain Round Nose 2.65"

I saw in the reloading book some COAL Down to 2.64".
    I trimmed all Brass and mixed/checked the length.
    I plan on trying them this weekend but.. anyone else experience the same thing?

Just ordered the Magpul 5 round Magazine that was recommended.

Comment

So I got my digital micrometer out and measured all different brands of factory ammo. It measured
      2.65 - 2.71" ... So my reloads all fall within this range and feed good through the magazine with smooth closing of the bolt.
      If the weather cooperates, I'm going to the range tomorrow.

Comment

Got to the Range and the Best Load was the Barnes
        120 gain TSX with IMR 4350 @40.8 gr. Nickle sized 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Gonna work on some other loads. But found out the groups open up when the Barrel gets Hot.. once it cools ..no problem.

Comment

Yes, I have had the problem. My COAL is 2.8 to 2.810 with 140 ELDM or SMKs.
          I have a Ruger Predator with the flush fit plastic magazines. I tried everything I could think of to make it feed. It would only feed the first or second round from the mag. After that, the bullets were jamming on the barrel.
          Ruger sent me new mags, no change. I modified the existing mag, no change.
          I worked closely with Ruger. I sent photos down the tube where you could see where the bullet tips were hitting. About the time that I decided that the problem was the ramp in the receiver. Ruger asked me to send the rifle back to them. Shortly after, the told me they were sending me a new rifle. I talked with the Tech and, without trying to pressure an answer, I just said "I think it was the feed ramp", to which he said "You're right".
          The new one ran like butter. I ended up with 4 mags. At first I was concerned that the replacement wouldn't be as accurate as the first one, but it proved to be just as accurate.

Comment

Thanks for the information with your experience.. My digital micrometer measured all factory Ammo at 2.65 to 2.71. it feeds good but anything above 2.75" .. it doesn't like.
            I don't know if my Micrometer measurements of the case + bullet after reloading is the same as COAL
            Last edited by Patriot-2000; 03-21-2024, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I have a weatherby and I load them to 2.8

Comment

Working...
              X