5.56 Ranch Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.56 Ranch Rifle?

I’ve been using a 7.62x39 ranch rifle for years and it’s been my go to round for everything I need to shoot while out and about. However with HP ammo in that round getting harder to come by and the price I was thinking of switching to 5.56. Anyone running that round as a ranch gun and do you just try and ear hole hogs with it?

Yes ear hole them if they’re big hogs and you’re fine. I normally have a 223/556 that is in the ranger it’s basically the do all. I’ve got a like new ruger in the classifieds here in weatherford if you’re interested.

Comment

ear hole them with the 7.62 x 39
      i've shot plenty in the shoulder with mine using fmj.
      they usually run 30 yds or less

Comment

I haven’t had any issues dropping much with the 7.62, it’s the ammo that’s got me thinking of switching and I’ve never shot anything but steel with my 5.56’s.

Comment

Shoot stuff in the shoulder with some 77gr Sierra TMK’s and it’ll die

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
            Shoot stuff in the shoulder with some 77gr Sierra TMK’s and it’ll die
            heavy bullet for the win

I have a ruger ranch in 223 that I shoot suppressed. Ive killed plenty of pigs with 55 grn but it shoots a heavier bullet better. I got box of 72 grain hornady to try and it shot them much better. So I went and found some PPU 72 grain online and bought a bunch!

204 kills them just as dead in the ear as any magnum caliber. Ive killed a trailer load of pigs with 223 in the last few years and plenty enough with the 55s. They dont always leak but Im just killing them

Comment

I always thought a Ruger Mini 14 with a lower power scope like 1-6x would make a good truck gun. Something you could easily grab and throw out the window for under 100 yard varmint eradication.

Comment

Working...
              X