Predator hunt tournament help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator hunt tournament help

The gun store that I work for has asked me to set up a predator calling/hunt contest. Now I've gone coyote calling with friends plenty of times but I'm not sure how to go about organizing a tournament. We are in Laredo and I figure its a bit late to have one in May or June but again I'm just not sure on all the specifics, should we wait for next year and do it in March? Whats the best time of year to hold one besides the obvious end of deer season, Do we do 2 or 4 man teams, what is acceptable entry fee, total kills or weight?
    Any help is appreciated. My phone # is 956/206-0165 if I don't answer please leave a message or even easier text me your number and I'll get back to you.

Rudy

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
    The gun store that I work for has asked me to set up a predator calling/hunt contest. Now I've gone coyote calling with friends plenty of times but I'm not sure how to go about organizing a tournament. We are in Laredo and I figure its a bit late to have one in May or June but again I'm just not sure on all the specifics, should we wait for next year and do it in March? Whats the best time of year to hold one besides the obvious end of deer season, Do we do 2 or 4 man teams, what is acceptable entry fee, total kills or weight?
    Any help is appreciated. My phone # is 956/206-0165 if I don't answer please leave a message or even easier text me your number and I'll get back to you.

Rudy
    I wouldn't do it during the Summer or even warmer months in Spring. A lot of guys that predator hunt, including myself will not kill critters when they have babies in the den or if they're pregnant.

November through February is when I'd hold one. Any of those months are good. You can either do a strictly coyote with the most coyotes winning with a few side pots. Typically biggest, mangiest and smallest. Pretty standard.

Personally I like 3 dog stringers where the 3 heaviest coyotes win with some side pots thrown in there.

Or you can do one and include jackrabbits, foxes, raccoons, bobcats, coyotes and hogs. I've done a few like that and I really thought they were fun because you're not just restricted to one species if you happen to see some hogs or whatever you can still shoot them. What I would do is do a point system if you do what I call a "varmint hunt" and I'll just give you an example below.

Jackrabbits=1 point
    Foxes=2 points
    Raccoons=3 points
    Bobcats=4 points
    Coyotes=5 points
    Hogs=6 points

+1 point for headshots. Will check for additional bullet holes.

That's just an example. The headshot thing is just an added opportunity to add another point if all a person is finding is rabbits or whatever. Plus it adds a bit more of a challenge because obviously hitting something in the head isn't always the easiest thing to do.

I would do a 1 to 4 man team. The reason I say 1 man is because there have been times when I wanted to do one but a minimum of two was required and all of my buddies weren't interested. $250 a team sounds reasonable I think.
    Last edited by okrattler; 03-03-2024, 10:29 AM.

Comment

You could always modify your animals list and point system too. For example lets say you have more opossums or armadillos than rabbits or whatever. The easiest to call or stumble across would be ranked lowest on my point system. If hogs are on the list they'd bring the most points because they're destructive and a real problem. Added incitive to kill those suckers.

Comment

Working...
      X