Suppressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressor question

Starting to do some research and save some pennies for my first can. Question is how do you decide on a brand? Was thinking the omega 36m

the only guns I have threaded at the moment she a 6.5 creedmore, a 350 legend and a 300 win mag. I know that the 350 throws a wrench into things since a 30 cal can won’t work. All i really care about is making my 300 win mag hearing safe

Typical “buy what I have” response:

I only have one suppressor. I knew I wanted something full auto rated and 300WM rated. I ended up with the YHM resonator. It’s somewhat heavy, but I use it on about 5 rifles and so far have enjoyed it a lot

to really answer your question, first figure out what your priorities are. Then budget. Then how much weight you want to deal with. I’d recommend going with a brand you figure will be around for a long time…. No sense in a lifetime warranty if the latest wonder manufacturer goes under in a couple years.

Comment

youtube is your friend. Lots of comparisons from everything from noise reduction to attachments and accessories. I ended up going with a dead air nomad 30

Comment

I went with the Nomad L after doing my research.

Comment

Have 3. All from different companies. Like the omega the best. I use it QD on 6.5G and direct thread on 7.08 and 6.5cm

A buddy just got a Thunder beast back from warranty. Can prolly has 3 boxes of ammo from 308. Around Christmas he shot a deer and the entire can blew off and went 50 yards. It was an empty tube when he picked it up. Deer died but something also cut his forehead

They fixed it

Comment

The Omega 36m is most likely my next one. I have a Q Trash Panda now and it’s great. I have a 338 Win coming in and would like to shoot it suppressed as well. What makes the 36m attractive to me is its modularity in length and that I can get a Plan B adapter so I can use it on the Q muzzle devices currently on my other rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
              The Omega 36m is most likely my next one. I have a Q Trash Panda now and it’s great. I have a 338 Win coming in and would like to shoot it suppressed as well. What makes the 36m attractive to me is its modularity in length and that I can get a Plan B adapter so I can use it on the Q muzzle devices currently on my other rifles.
              The adaptability seemed like a plus to me. But I also didn’t want a can that has the ability to do a wide variety of calibers but not be very good at any of them

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post

The adaptability seemed like a plus to me. But I also didn’t want a can that has the ability to do a wide variety of calibers but not be very good at any of them
                I’m sure it will work just fine. I shoot my .30 cal Trash Panda on everything down to .223 and it’s still very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  Question is how do you decide on a brand?
                  I highly recommend checking out Pew Science site, reading about their rankings/reviews/experience. They don't review everything that's out there but it gives you a good idea of what to consider.

Most things you mentioned are probably bolt guns so you could go with someone without worrying about flow like the AR. I recently picked up a CGS Hyperion for my .308/.300 BLK bolt guns and can attest to both being hearing safe. .308 still makes a bit of a boom though, wouldn't want to shoot through a box or anything without hearpro. Hearing damage is cumulative after all
                  ​​
                  What is the quietest silencer for your suppressed firearm? The quietest suppressor for your use case is listed on this page with detailed links to the Silencer Sound Standard test data. PEW Science test data with PEW-SOFT is the most accurate suppressor test data available.

Comment

Decide if you want something "dedicated" to a single gun or something that can switch between multiple guns. Most people use a .30 caliber can on everything from .300WM down to .223. When I started looking, I went to Silencer Shop's YouTube page and listened to each of the cans I had interest in. Because the process is so long, think through what you really want. My first YHM was heavier, my second was titanium and gets the most use because it's lighter.

Also, watch for deals on the suppressor you decide to go with. Many companies will have deal that "pay" for your NFA stamp ($200 savings) or run a "buy this get a .22 can free". Really wish I'd taken advantage of the free .22 can when I made one of my purchases. You never think you'd use it but they're really cool to have.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck View Post

I highly recommend checking out Pew Science site, reading about their rankings/reviews/experience. They don't review everything that's out there but it gives you a good idea of what to consider.

Most things you mentioned are probably bolt guns so you could go with someone without worrying about flow like the AR. I recently picked up a CGS Hyperion for my .308/.300 BLK bolt guns and can attest to both being hearing safe. .308 still makes a bit of a boom though, wouldn't want to shoot through a box or anything without hearpro. Hearing damage is cumulative after all
                      ​​
                      https://pewscience.com/rankings
                      This was going to be my recommendation. Check out Pew Science.

Comment

​​
                        https://pewscience.com/rankings
                        So how do you like the hyperion? I have one hopefully coming this month. Gonna use it on my 243, and 270.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post

So how do you like the hyperion? I have one hopefully coming this month. Gonna use it on my 243, and 270.
                          I only got it out of jail a few weeks ago so it's still a bit new to me. It's my first suppressor so unfortunately I don't have a big enough sample size to compare.

Comparing to my hunting partner's .300blk AR15 I shot with his suppressors, it's much quieter probably due to A) bolt gun not letting gas escape with cartridge ejection and B) a lot more back pressure as the Hyperion is not designed for AR shooting. Shooting subs, it sounds like a movie quite stapler.
                          ​​
                          At 9.5" & 15oz, it's a bit of a chonker. On my AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel, it essentially gives me a 17-18" total barrel length. On my .308 Ruger American Hunter with 20" bull barrel, it turns it into a stand gun because no way am I carrying that around. Not too mention i lose a good amount of maneuverability with a total barrel length of ~29". Any further and I could probably just lean over and poke the deer.
                          ​​
                          Not to sound like I don't love it, I definitely do and would buy it again. I wanted peak quietness while sacrificing some usability. I wanted to be able to hunt with no ear pro at all and hog hunt without alerting them. So just being clear on your use case is important.

Comment

I only got it out of jail a few weeks ago so it's still a bit new to me. It's my first suppressor so unfortunately I don't have a big enough sample size to compare.

Comparing to my hunting partner's .300blk AR15 I shot with his suppressors, it's much quieter probably due to A) bolt gun not letting gas escape with cartridge ejection and B) a lot more back pressure as the Hyperion is not designed for AR shooting. Shooting subs, it sounds like a movie quite stapler.
                            ​​
                            At 9.5" & 15oz, it's a bit of a chonker. On my AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel, it essentially gives me a 17-18" total barrel length. On my .308 Ruger American Hunter with 20" bull barrel, it turns it into a stand gun because no way am I carrying that around. Not too mention i lose a good amount of maneuverability with a total barrel length of ~29". Any further and I could probably just lean over and poke the deer.
                            ​​
                            Not to sound like I don't love it, I definitely do and would buy it again. I wanted peak quietness while sacrificing some usability. I wanted to be able to hunt with no ear pro at all and hog hunt without alerting them. So just being clear on your use case is important.
                            thats good to know, they say its the quietest out there. Not worried about the size, as I'll be hunting from my buggy or a stand

Comment

Get a solid 30 cal can (nomad, omega and others are good as mentioned) and go ahead and snag a 22 can while you are at it. You will regret not getting them at the same time.
                              Then start saving up because next thing you know you will have 10-12 of them lol

Comment

Working...
                              X