Night Vision Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Vision Host

I currently have a sightmark NV on a short 300 BLK AR. While handy and batting 1000 with super sonic ammo, I wouldn’t feel confident shooting at a large buck or the occasional Auodad we get running around. I’m wanting to the the BLK out into the proverbial “truck gun” with a low powered optic and find a new night vision host.

im stuck between three rifles and wanted your input:

Ruger SFAR .308 16” barrel $900. I had one and it ran great but accuracy wasn’t amazing. I don’t like non sub moa rifles. But it was nice to take deer hunting when I had high expectations of shooting pigs.

PSA 6.5 Grendel 12.5” $650. Super convenient. Hits a fair bit harder than the 300blk. A little worried about magazines and reliability as I read some reports about the Grendel being particular. I would expect 1-1.5 moa. About $300 cheaper than the SFAR.

Ruger SFAR 6.5 Creedmoor $1050. Only reason I am considering this is the initial accuracy reports are far better than the .308 version. However it only comes in a 20” barrel so adding a suppressor makes it much less pleasant to tote around or in a deer stand. My only other rifle is .308 so this adds a caliber.

Ammo prices are all about the same and I don’t shoot a ton.

What would you do, or am I missing an option I should be looking at?

What is the range of the sightmark night vision? If you are limited to 200 yards and in I would probably vote 6.5 grendel. I like them short for night time work.

Comment

Each option has its pros and cons, but considering your preferences and use cases, I'd lean towards the PSA 6.5 Grendel. It offers a good balance of power, convenience, and cost-effectiveness. While there have been reports about Grendel being particular, thorough testing with your preferred setup could mitigate potential issues. Plus, the $300 cost savings compared to the Ruger SFAR .308 could be significant.

Comment

I keep my NV on a 16” suppressed 6.5 Grendel. For me it works great. My only complaint about the Grendel is mine is just a bit heavy.

I typically shoot 120-123gr eldm bullets around 2450-2500fps and I’ve never had a problem with it killing hogs.

Comment

Still going back and forth undecided. May be leaning toward the grendel

Comment

I'd go with the SFAR in .308 or the Grendel.

When it's dark, short and light really come in handy. I get what you are saying about the 6.5 getting better accuracy results than the .308, but that gun was not designed to be a precision rifle. It was designed to be a lightweight rifle. From what I've seen the .308s accuracy may not be impressive, but is perfectly adequate.

Comment

I’ve got a Grendel 12” SBR, 2 of them actually. Took axis and aoudad with it and my furthest kill with it was 381yds on 100 lb pig, so it can do the accuracy part. I’ve shot a LOT of big pigs with it, so that’s my Home vote.

The 308 would be my 2nd.

Comment

I've got a 12.5" Grendel that's a hammer on pigs. Have a AGM Thermal and Vortex Viper 1-6x24 I swap between depending on day or night hunting. Have shot pigs out to 160yds no issues up to 230lbs with 123 gr SST and Match ammo. Shoots 1 MOA with scope at 6 power. No complaints!

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
                  I've got a 12.5" Grendel that's a hammer on pigs. Have a AGM Thermal and Vortex Viper 1-6x24 I swap between depending on day or night hunting. Have shot pigs out to 160yds no issues up to 230lbs with 123 gr SST and Match ammo. Shoots 1 MOA with scope at 6 power. No complaints!
                  Details on your upper?

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                    I’ve got a Grendel 12” SBR, 2 of them actually. Took axis and aoudad with it and my furthest kill with it was 381yds on 100 lb pig, so it can do the accuracy part. I’ve shot a LOT of big pigs with it, so that’s my Home vote.

The 308 would be my 2nd.
                    Which Grendel uppers are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post

Details on your upper?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2895.jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.5 KB ID:	26742640
                      Sgt of Arms upper and lower. T-box barrel with Hiperfire trigger. 15" Arca Handgaurd so I could have part of suppressor inside handgaurd. They’re located in Crowley. Not sure where you live. I’m in Weatherford. If you’re close to this area you’re more than welcome to come look at my setup. If nothing else you can at least feel it, point it, etc and get better idea of what direction you want to go with on the rifles you're looking at.
                      Last edited by splitbeam145; 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM.

Comment

1 : Aero Precision upper, Ballistic Advantage 6.5 G 12” barrel, BA bolt, BCM 9” slim handguard.

2 : Aero Precision upper, Ballistic Advantage 6.5 G 12” barrel, BA bolt, Aero Precision S One 9” slim handguard.

Comment

I'm going against the grain here, but think about a 7.62x39 ar15. Cheap ammo, hits harder than 300BO or 6.5 Grendel either one. I have pig hunted with all 3, and find the 300 to be lacking in power. The Grendel is an accurate round, but it also seems to be a bit lacking. Right now I have the thermal on a 350 legend. I've shot a few pigs with it, and it slammed them hard. You should also look at that one.

Comment

I have a 16" fast twist 308 TC Encore that I worked up a subsonic load for (as well as a supersonic load). Thinking about putting a lightweight night vision scope on this for handy truck or quick grab firearm.

Comment

Working...
                            X