Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone chambering rifles in 257 Roberts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone chambering rifles in 257 Roberts?

As the family “gun guy” my brother in law sent me a message saying his dad is looking for a Bob. Guess he had one back in the day, sold it and is now wanting another.

I don’t think any of the main names make them right now, know I could always do a custom of some sort and get whatever caliber a heart could desire. Y’all know anything I don’t? Used market will probably be the best bet, but they are few and far between.

I believe Kimber does.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
      I believe Kimber does.
      Read that but didn’t see any of their models listing 257. I may shoot them an email and see if it’s something that can be ordered. I think as of a few years ago(from threads I read) they still did.

Comment

Kimber 84 or winchester

Comment

I don’t believe Kimber offers that caliber anymore. I have a Roberts in the Kimber 84M super American, don’t even see that family of rifles on their site anymore. It’s all synthetic stock rifles now. Also before he spends money on a rifle make sure he spends time trying to find ammo for that caliber. I believe only Hornady still loads that round. Even then it can still be hard to find, not to mention expensive.
          Last edited by russb; 12-23-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I mentioned ammo availability to him. Ammoseek pulls some up right now. Told him he better go ahead and buy 4 boxes or so and put it on the shelf, that way if we can find one, he at least has some ammo on hand.

Comment

NFS, my wifes rifle, have about 300 rnds of 257r, Hornady 117g btsp and Remington 117g core loct. I reloaded her another 100rnds of new brass with 117g sst's. Rifle is a Ruger m77 MarkII.. Her dad made a custom stock with Kansas Walnut, has Sycamore and Rosewood accents. Scope is a good ol Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-12x44
              Attached Files

Comment

Find an old 722 Remy…great guns

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  Find an old 722 Remy…great guns
                  This. They aren't just that crazy expensive being plain. I have my great uncle's given to me when I was born. It's my favorite whitetail gun. Stock up on ammo when it's there or reload.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                    NFS, my wifes rifle, have about 300 rnds of 257r, Hornady 117g btsp and Remington 117g core loct. I reloaded her another 100rnds of new brass with 117g sst's. Rifle is a Ruger m77 MarkII.. Her dad made a custom stock with Kansas Walnut, has Sycamore and Rosewood accents. Scope is a good ol Simmons Whitetail Classic 4-12x44
                    That is a sweet gun. Is it an Ultra Lite? (black tip) I have the exact gun in .250 Savage but it is the Ultra Lite model.

Comment

Yes, its the Ultra Light, 20" barrel.
                      Her dad made the butt of the stock 1" shorter to better fit my wife.. seems like we bought it new in 00'. She shot her 1st buck with it that fall, a 153" 11pt.

Comment

That’s a sweet rifle Zmax!

I am going to keep my eye out for any that pop up at local shops around me. Maybe we can find him one in good condition.

Comment

My wife and i took a road trip to the relatively new Sheels. They had virtually nothing 257R. (No guns, no ammo) I did find some Barnes .257 100g tsxx bullets, they had a lot of reloading led. No lrg rifle primers.
                          Locally, i have been looking for Retumbo for 2yrs to no avail.. they had plenty, i bought 1lb.. should have bought 4, lol

Comment

You may want to consider having an existing rifle re-barreled to get the .257 you want. Any long or short action with a .473 bolt face will work. My .257AI is a re-barreled R700 BDL short action. Lots of nice used donor rifles out there. The Roberts is pretty much a handloader-only proposition these days, although some factory ammo is still available. As far as components, brass is generally available and a wide selection of projectiles is still out there.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                            X