Good AR calibers for pigs with thermal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good AR calibers for pigs with thermal?

I just bought my first thermal yesterday and will mount it on one of my ARs for pigs @ <150 yards. The 2 ARs that I have are 5.56 and I'm thinking about buying a complete upper that's more of a "hunting" caliber. Considering the .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM, among others. Would like opinions about the best all-around caliber, barrel length, twist rate, etc. for my use. Thanks in advance.

With a thermal lugging around a heavy gun and sticks trying to get on pigs at night is a beat down. I'd go with the lightest weight AR.

Comment

I like my 6.8 SPC , it’s my go to caliber for pigs and coyotes. YMMV

Comment

I am really liking my 300 Ham'r.

Comment

Any of those will work. 5.56/.223 works just fine with added benefits of being the cheapest, lightest and most available. If you are concerned with them not going anywhere I'd just go with .458 SOCOM and call it a day. Better be a reloader though.

Throwin Darts is correct. IF you are walking or shooting out of a vehicle/UTV, Short and light make a big difference. If sitting static in a stand it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            Any of those will work. 5.56/.223 works just fine with added benefits of being the cheapest, lightest and most available. If you are concerned with them not going anywhere I'd just go with .458 SOCOM and call it a day. Better be a reloader though.

Throwin Darts is correct. IF you are walking or shooting out of a vehicle/UTV, Short and light make a big difference. If sitting static in a stand it doesn't really matter.
            I may have bought the 6.5G at the wrong time, but it was more scarce than 458 was. I geared up to reload is the only way I got a source for ammo.
            finally, about 3 weeks ago, I got 250 starline cases.

Comment

Several guys I know that hunt pigs at night frequently use 7.62x39.

Comment

Im a grendel fan, I have one and its worked well on pigs, deer, and Coyotes.

Comment

for night and suppressed I think 300blk cant be beat. at daytime the 6.5 is best all around in the ar15 platform

Comment

I have a 6.8 SPC and 300 Blk but if I had to do it all again I would go with a 7.62x39. It does the job well and you can find ammo that does not make it 30$ per mag dump. Blackout is my least favorite (even though it does sound good suppressed) because of bullet drops on pigs running away and not being able to judge distance in the thermal (unless you have a rangefinder).

Comment

I prefer heavy 223/556, although 7.62x39 is a great option as well. 75 BTHP was my go to. Slow and heavy sucks for thermal for the reason stated above. Judging distance sucks with thermal, and there’s not much forgiveness with rounds that drop quickly.

Comment

I've killed a truck load on our place with 7.62x39 with thermal and with out. You can get cheap soft points with steel cases so you don't have to try to save your brass. That said, we have one gun in 458 socom and nothing walks awsy after getting hit with it. I just hate looking for the brass as it's so expensive to buy.

Comment

May I ask what scope you bought and why? I’m shopping for one as well.

Comment

The 458 is an absolute hog stopping caliber but yes pricey. I use it for river bottoms and heavy cover mostly. Field work I usually take the 6.8 in 120gr Hornady or the 224 Valkyrie. The 224V with 90 gr pills has been nothing short of impressive out of an 18" barrel.Hogs, deer, axis deer etc.... Lost too many hogs with the 300bo, not a big fan unless at a feeder type of situation.

Comment

7.62x39 is probably your best round but as said, 300bo suppressed if hunting a feeder

Comment

Working...
                              X