Barrel Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel Thread?

When I thread a barrel for a suppressor I like to have a minimum of 0.050” wide registration shoulder on the barrel. I have a 308 and a 7 mag that the barrel diameter is too small to thread 5/8-24 and leave a good registration shoulder. What about threading for a suppressor at 1/2-28 in these calibers? Other options?

I recently threaded a questionably thin barrel on a M77 Mkii for suppressor purposes. 22LR though. I'd have the same concerns you do regarding recoil of those rounds... What's barrel contour like? Do you gain any thickness by chopping a couple inches off?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
      Do you gain any thickness by chopping a couple inches off?
      Checked that but it’s a no go.

Comment

You are trading the shoulder issue for the thread thickness issue.

threading a 30 cal to 1/2”x28 doesn’t leave much thread meat.

sell the spotter barrels and buy new barrels or rifles with heavier barrels?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          This is what I was thinking. I don't usually watch UR since he is all about selling for his latest sponsor. I will probably red Loctite the spacer to the barrel and take a light skim cut to true it to the bore. Thanks for the response.

Comment

depending on your barrel profile, you could look at 9/16x24 thread pattern. Less options out there for it but some do exist. I run it on my 260 with a muzzle device for my can.

Comment

I threaded the barrel at 5/8-24 and made a 7/8" barrel nut to provide a shoulder. Now I get a baffle strike when fired. I can look down the bore of the suppressor and see plenty of clearance around a bullet. The only explanation I have is the weight of the suppressor on the end of the barrel has changed the barrel dynamics, The bullet must be unstable exiting the barrel causing it to yaw and strike the baffle. So I can either cut the barrel back and see what that does or buy a stiffer barrel.

Comment

I threaded my 308 to 9/16x24​. Works good with dead air direct thread

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                  I threaded the barrel at 5/8-24 and made a 7/8" barrel nut to provide a shoulder. Now I get a baffle strike when fired. I can look down the bore of the suppressor and see plenty of clearance around a bullet. The only explanation I have is the weight of the suppressor on the end of the barrel has changed the barrel dynamics, The bullet must be unstable exiting the barrel causing it to yaw and strike the baffle. So I can either cut the barrel back and see what that does or buy a stiffer barrel.
                  Did you face off the nut so the shoulder is concentric to the bore?

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post

Did you face off the nut so the shoulder is concentric to the bore?
                    Yes

Comment

What caliber and barrel twist? What bullet and how many grains is the bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        What caliber and barrel twist? What bullet and how many grains is the bullet?
                        30 cal 308. 168 grain Ballistic tip. 1:10

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post

30 cal 308. 168 grain Ballistic tip. 1:10
                          That bullet in that twist shouldn’t be unstable. I’d be inclined to put a range rod down the barrel and check your clearance.

Comment

I’ve had thinner barrels threaded 1/2”x28 and the put a bushing style adapter to upsize to 5/8”x24

Comment

Working...
                            X