Reloading 7.62x39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading 7.62x39

What bullet would you reload if you reloaded for 7.62x39 or if you do? What powder do you prefer as well? Also I've noticed there are two different bullet diameters offered in this caliber. Which one is better or is there not enough difference that it matters?

Thanks.

7.62x39 uses a .310 diameter bullet. Honestly, I reload for almost every caliber I own but I can't justify loading x39 because I buy the steel case hollow points in bulk for pig shooting. I don't have to worry about chasing up my brass in the dark anymore.

Comment

They offer Hornady SST bullets for 7.62x39 but reading the description it said something about it expands at high speeds. Well that part has me wondering if it wouldn't be such a great bullet for the 7.62x39 because it's not going super fast.

Comment

Google Shooter’s Reference, lots of options.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
          7.62x39 uses a .310 diameter bullet. Honestly, I reload for almost every caliber I own but I can't justify loading x39 because I buy the steel case hollow points in bulk for pig shooting. I don't have to worry about chasing up my brass in the dark anymore.
          That's the benefit for me as well. But I'm just wanting to play around with it and see if I can get any more accuracy out of it by reloading. For night huntin, definitely the cheap stuff for the same reason. I don't want to go lookin for brass in the dark.

Comment

I reload a lot of calibers, but I just don't want to reload that one. Maybe if I had a really accurate bolt gun in that caliber I'd think about it, but I can't imagine even owning a bolt gun in that caliber. Buy the bulk ammo and don't worry about it. If you do reload it though, know that it is a larger bullet, .310-.311".

Comment

I have pulled bullets from Tula rounds and seated SST bullets. They group better than the OG fmj’s and I am sure a mag full would wreck havoc on a sounder of hogs.

Comment

I really just wonder if there's any real difference in accuracy between the .310 and .311 diameter bullets. I don't get why some are just a hair bigger than the other. I wouldn't think it'd make any difference at all but then again I don't know for sure so I can't say.

Comment

Sierra makes a 150 gr. spire point in 311 Dia that works well in this caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    I really just wonder if there's any real difference in accuracy between the .310 and .311 diameter bullets. I don't get why some are just a hair bigger than the other. I wouldn't think it'd make any difference at all but then again I don't know for sure so I can't say.
                    I load 125 gr. Sierras for mine and they are .308. Both guns shoot in about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8".

Comment

I'll give those a look see and probably end up trying some. Those 150 grain bullets would make a good hog killin load. Thanks y'all.

Comment

Those .308 bullets are a lot longer and would think they would be better at longer ranges.

Comment

Post whatever the outcome is cause I have some 150’s I want to try.

Comment

I have a bolt action ruger ranch in 7.62x39. It is really short and ideal for a suppressor which I don't have yet. Once I get a suppressor I will handload the heaviest bullet I can find and won't worry if its .308-311 to make subsonic loads for fun and quiet pest control. Until then I will continue shooting cheap steel cased soft points. (I have more consistent expansion with soft points than the hollow points.) I can not believe how well the little Ruger shoots steel case. It blows away anything the old sks rifles used to do. I cant handload rounds for the price of steel cased ammo.

Comment

I have a Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 that I shoot suppressed too. I use 123gr Prvi Partizan soft points that were around $16/box and are very accurate in my rifle. Matter of fact, I just shot a doe @ 100yds a few days ago with this setup and she only ran about 30yds. Where I hunt in AL, most of my shots are less than 100yds so it's the perfect gun for me there.

SGAmmo.com has this ammo still in stock if anyone wants to try it. And after you shoot it, you can reload the brass if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X