Loaded magazine - How long to leave it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loaded magazine - How long to leave it?

Particularly for pistols for home defense. How long do you leave your magazine loaded? Do you load / reload on a certain frequency?

Normally I buy and sell so often they get switched out but now with the sig 365 it’s here to stay and I know I don’t cycle through it enough. Same mag has been loaded over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
      Particularly for pistols for home defense. How long do you leave your magazine loaded? Do you load / reload on a certain frequency?
      6 years and 4 months officially.

I have read from people smarter than me (maybe from magazine companies) that leaving magazines loaded is okay. It is the flexing of loading and unloading that wears them out, not leaving them compressed.

Comment

A long term compressed spring does not loose its effectiveness...it's the usage of the spring that causes wear / life expectancy.

Comment

Some guy did some AR mags for 10 years and could measure no difference between those and when new.

Comment

I have some that have been loaded over 20 years. Maybe even 30 years. They work just fine.

Comment

I have a Hi Standard Military .22lr that was born the same year I was and the mag spring is as strong as a new aftermarket mag I bought. 1946 model.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                A long term compressed spring does not loose its effectiveness...it's the usage of the spring that causes wear / life expectancy.
                Good answer that even makes sense given the age old question by the Op.

Comment

I've personally fired AR mags that were loaded for 10+ years and have had no issues. I would say that loading them and unloading them could potentially cause more issues than just leaving them loaded. Although I wouldn't worry about that either.

I usually try to have about 6-10 mags/handgun and around 50 AR15 mags loaded. They typically get cycled through via shooting, but I don't have any concerns about them sitting that way for years if necessary.
                  Last edited by Clay C; 11-13-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I am finding that my AR Stoner mags don’t like extended periods

Comment

I haven't seen it affect function but I swear that on some of the newer style magazines on pistols like the sig 365 and hellcat I can load them easier after they have been stored for a year with a full mag plus one load. This makes me think it has to be weakening the spring at least a little bit...

Comment

I worked in mexico / maquilas for 15 years & visited 3 different spring suppliers to see their production over the years...clay is correct that mint springs will settle for their application (compressed for mag / stretched like for a screen door) but in no way should they need relief or deteriorate if not being used regardless position.

That is if the proper spring metal was produced / heat treat / manufactured correctly....yes, I've seen more than one instance where bad springs have shut down production lines. FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

6 years and 4 months officially.

I have read from people smarter than me (maybe from magazine companies) that leaving magazines loaded is okay. It is the flexing of loading and unloading that wears them out, not leaving them compressed.
                          This is what I’ve read also. The one that stays in the headboard of my bed has probably been loaded for ten years. I have no doubt it will come out shooting should the need arise.

Comment

Mine stay loaded. Never had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X