5.56 &223 question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.56 &223 question?

Can you shoot 5.56 & 223 out of both barrels? is there a rule for this? If not what damage will it do?

I do know about the Wilde barrels but I already have some barrels to build on.

Thanks

To my knowledge you can’t shoot 5.56 out of barrels marked 223 because of pressures issues. You can shoot 223 out of both 5.56 and wylde barrels

Comment

Don't shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel. You can shoot either out of a 5.56 or .223 Wylde barrel.

Comment

Depends on the manufacturer of the rifle. CZ 597 rifles are made to shoot both. There are maybe a handful of others. I would think any bolt rifle that has the identical chamber dimensions of a 5.56 would be OK. The differences should be in the chamber throat. So if I had a .223 and reamed the throat +.125 longer it would be the same as a 5.56 and therefore should be OK.

Comment

I once had a Sako L461 Vixen in .223 and I shot a lot of 5.56 out of it. Never seemed to hurt the gun or accuracy. It was a long throat gun or the lands were shot out enough the 5.56 bullets never jammed them. I never measured the chamber so who knows.

Comment

The 556 has pressures up to 10.000 psi higher than a 223, the 223 mabufacturer will usually state whether the 556 is acceptable or not. I would think that most modern firearms would be fine but that is why there are lawyers.

Comment

Working...
            X