Trust/Cans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trust/Cans

I'm getting with an estate planner and I considering placing my property in a trust. And also for a suppressor. Anyone gone this way instead of just a trust for the can? Also, is there a can that will work on multiple weapons like rifle and pistol?
    tia

Get a separate NFA trust. They are written specifically for NFA items and make it very easy to amend, add items, add/remove trustees, etc. I certainly would not use an attorney that has no experience with NFA trusts. It’s not worth saving a few dollars. I would recommend calling Jim Willi. He’s probably the top NFA lawyer in Texas and I believe also does estate planning, so he can probably answer any questions you have. He wrote my trust and is super helpful anytime you have a question.

As far as suppressors go, there are a few “hybrid” rifle/pistol cans out there, but you will learn with suppressors, there’s always a give and take. The hybrid cans are made to work decent on everything, not to perform the best for one application. They are typically bulkier and do not suppress as well. You will likely end up with multiple suppressors anyway, so my recommendation would be to start out with a 6.5-7.5” .30 caliber can that will cover any centerfire rifles under .30 caliber, then dedicated rimfire and pistol cans.

Comment

Agreed with the above. There are many attorneys that specialize in gun trusts and will write one up for you. They are very reasonably priced (I paid $79 in 2018), super helpful with any Qs, and will provide any amendments (blank) you may need in the future. Adding trustee, changing address, etc.

If you're going to drop the coin on the suppressors, do it once and be done with it. Get a nice 30 cal (.223-.300WM) and a nice rimfire can (.17-.22mag). Dad just did the same... Bought the DeadAir Nomad and Mask. Going through the process of adding him to the trust as we speak...

What caliber pistol you trying to suppress? If 22lr, the same can will work on both. If 9mm, I think it would need to be additional, dedicated suppressor.
      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 11-09-2023, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
        Get a separate NFA trust. They are written specifically for NFA items and make it very easy to amend, add items, add/remove trustees, etc. I certainly would not use an attorney that has no experience with NFA trusts. It’s not worth saving a few dollars. I would recommend calling Jim Willi. He’s probably the top NFA lawyer in Texas and I believe also does estate planning, so he can probably answer any questions you have. He wrote my trust and is super helpful anytime you have a question.

As far as suppressors go, there are a few “hybrid” rifle/pistol cans out there, but you will learn with suppressors, there’s always a give and take. The hybrid cans are made to work decent on everything, not to perform the best for one application. They are typically bulkier and do not suppress as well. You will likely end up with multiple suppressors anyway, so my recommendation would be to start out with a 6.5-7.5” .30 caliber can that will cover any centerfire rifles under .30 caliber, then dedicated rimfire and pistol cans.
        I'll check into this as I thought the guy I am going to use for estate planning is saying to do one trust. I think... lol

Appreciate y'alls replies.

Comment

Working...
        X