AR optic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR optic

I am buying a new AR. It will mainly be for plinking and pig control. What optic? Red dot? Will go thermal eventually.

Dots are fun and ok up close but not great for any real distance IMO...and even worse in low light situations. I like the illuminated reticle scopes. That way you have options for what ever situation. Just my 2 cents..spend it however you want!

Comment

I’m running a Vortex 1-6 on my run around rifle.

prior I was running a sightmark wraith mini NV. Except for boot time it did everything I needed to do. It was moved to a .308 for a bit more knock down.

Comment

Red dot would be worthless for your purposes. And LPVOs are worthless in my opinion. That’s definitely a subject that can be beat to death. For me, if it’s a plinker/hog gun, I’d buy something economical like an Arken SH4 6-24x and then add a 45 degree canted red dot for close range if needed. I shoot a lot and a 1-8 LPVO just isn’t enough for plinking past 250 or even hog hunting at a decent distance. Again, there will be a quadrillion opinions on the subject but there’s not a single person that can legitimately say an 8x is as good as a 24 at 250+. BUT there will be someone that says “oh yes it is”. C‘’mom now….

Comment

Very good input. Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
            Red dot would be worthless for your purposes. And LPVOs are worthless in my opinion. That’s definitely a subject that can be beat to death. For me, if it’s a plinker/hog gun, I’d buy something economical like an Arken SH4 6-24x and then add a 45 degree canted red dot for close range if needed. I shoot a lot and a 1-8 LPVO just isn’t enough for plinking past 250 or even hog hunting at a decent distance. Again, there will be a quadrillion opinions on the subject but there’s not a single person that can legitimately say an 8x is as good as a 24 at 250+. BUT there will be someone that says “oh yes it is”. C‘’mom now….
            I don’t think anyone would claim an 8 power scope is as good as a 24 power scope at distance (glass quality not being a limiting factor). That’s just silly.

Everything has pros and cons. Really just depends on OPs needs, area and capabilities.

I like red dots (Aimpoints) and prisms (ACOGS) on my AR15s. Simple, lightweight and durable. Never had a problem killing hogs or plinking.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
              An 8x is better than a 24 at 250 yards if what you're shooting at is running or if what you're shooting at is very late or you're shooting with a light. So, as far as an all around rifle goes, the 1x6 or the 2x 8 would be the much better option.

Comment

I’m not a vortex fan boy at all ….. but I have a 1x6 viper on a AR and like it

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post

An 8x is better than a 24 at 250 yards if what you're shooting at is running or if what you're shooting at is very late or you're shooting with a light. So, as far as an all around rifle goes, the 1x6 or the 2x 8 would be the much better option.
                  Agree with this.

Comment

What caliber are you going to be buying? Standard 16” m4 profile barrel?

what range in plinking.

If you are going to be buying a 6.5 Grendel then PVDT has a reasonable point. For an 800yard rifle then yes a 24x makes all the sense in the world. If you are looking at a 5.56 or 300blk then shooting past 200 doesn’t make much sense and even less if you are hunting that far. So if the later I’ll stick to my 1-6 recommendation. And if you wanted to jump up to a 3-9 that would work but would be on the top end.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                      What caliber are you going to be buying? Standard 16” m4 profile barrel?

what range in plinking.

If you are going to be buying a 6.5 Grendel then PVDT has a reasonable point. For an 800yard rifle then yes a 24x makes all the sense in the world. If you are looking at a 5.56 or 300blk then shooting past 200 doesn’t make much sense and even less if you are hunting that far. So if the later I’ll stick to my 1-6 recommendation. And if you wanted to jump up to a 3-9 that would work but would be on the top end.

I understand not taking shots at animals past 200 with a 5.56, but why does shooting past that not make much sense?

Comment

For my use on this gun think the 1x6 type scopes will work. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post

Agree with this.
                          I might agree too if there wasn’t 9-24x left on a 24x scope. We could add and/or change the variables all day long. For example, if it’s indeed running at 250 yards, is 8x better than the 24x scope set on 9 or 10 or 11x? How about just setting it to 8x if that’s without a doubt the ideal zoom range for that particular shot. Any LPVO limits its uses. I find that hard to argue with.

Comment

I run a red dot on my 5.56 AR for pigs. Works wonders.

I run a 1-4 illuminated LPVO on my 300blk. It’s mainly set up for NVG use at night with an IR laser, but during day time I can use the scope. 1x works well when using it like a red dot, 4x means I can put it in the head of a piggy at 100yds.

Addressing other comments on this thread, for what it’s worth we shoot 300yds with irons on our M4s. I just did it last month(although I did miss one 300m target dang!). Adding a red dot makes it even easier, and an ACOG is like cheating. So you can still plink away to your hearts content with a red dot. My buddy has a 1-8x on his 5.56 AR. He was smacking the steel at 600yds at a range we went to in Houston. Try to follow a group of pigs at 30yds with a 6x base magnification scope. 3x works okay though.

Comment

I can’t imagine ever shooting far enough with a 223 to need a 24X lol and I’ve shot well beyond 1K with them. Ideally I’m at 12-14X to a mile, so yeah a 24X is far from useful for me. I’ve shot quite a few prairie dogs at 500-700 with a 1-8 LPVO, and most of the hogs and dogs I’ve killed with it have been at 1-3X. Then again I buy good glass and my eyes still work.

Comment

Working...
                              X