Hunting with the 300 Blk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting with the 300 Blk

Just picked up a 300 Blk with a 16 in barrel and some Winchester PP 150 grain soft points. The gun is very accurate and I plan on close shots on deer under 100 yards. Just curious if my new toy will perform well on deer. I'm mainly a handgun hunter and like the idea of carrying a compact AR to add a little range capability.

Based on how mine has performed on pigs I’ll let my kiddo take his first deer with it.

im running sig 120gr rounds.

Comment

You loose velocity shooting the 150s over say a 110 or 125, but it’s still enough to take a deer within 100yds no problem. As with any caliber, shot placement is still a key part.

Comment

i reload 190gr sub-x bullets and have great confidence with it in the 100yd range, i have taken a few deer and lots of hogs with this subsonic load

Comment

Those 110gr barnes will kill deer & were designed to do it...H110 / W296 good powder if anyone reloads.

Comment

I've killed a handful of pigs and deer with it. Works well under 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Those 110gr barnes will kill deer & were designed to do it...H110 / W296 good powder if anyone reloads.
              That's what I use.

Comment

Mine really likes the Winchester 150 grain Deer Season XP. My son has killed multiple deer and pigs with it. You're good to go inside 150 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                  Mine really likes the Winchester 150 grain Deer Season XP. My son has killed multiple deer and pigs with it. You're good to go inside 150 yards.
                  I guess this is really the answer I was needing. I was more concerned about bullet performance rather than caliber capabilities. Thanks

Comment

The problem with 150 grain supersonics is whether you have enough velocity at the point of impact to make the bullet expand. I think most soft points are designed to open up at around 1800 fps impact velocity, but that may be 1600 fps (can't remember). I would suggest that you find out what the lower limit is for your bullet and find out at what range your bullet slows down to that speed, and that is your range limit. Don't trust muzzle velocities written on the box.

Comment

I haven't used that but I've shot a lot of pigs and a couple doe with the 110gr v max and it did well. does were under 75yrds and pigs varied out to about 130

Comment

I have shot pigs with 208 grain hornady a max bullets, the hornady black that are subsonic, I feel like they don't expand at all and I know it's because they are subsonic. That being said, I've killed several pigs under 50 yards with headshots so it gets the job done. I have not tried it on a deer yet and have been debating going to the 110 grain barnes supersonic for better performance.

Comment

I have been watching this thread. I have a. 300 blk that I wanted to hunt with

Comment

The 120 vortex tsx are by far the best hunting round in 300blk. I killed my biggest buck ever at 198 yards with it in a 16 inch barrel. the next best round is the 110 vmax. I know vmax is designed as a varmint round, but in slower velocities I have found that it holds together and works great on larger game like deer and pigs. I just ordered a new 10.5 inch upper today for pig and cull control and plan to run mainly the vmax considering they are so much cheaper than the barnes.

Comment

Working...
                            X