Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 8mm fans

I’m thinking of buying or building a 8x57 or 8x68s
    I have some familiarity with 8mm Remington mag but ammo seems impossible to find in factory loads

8X57 would be about like a 30-06, the 8mm Mag is another story. I imagine it’s a reloader’s cartridge now, although I expect a large variety of ammo would be tough to find for either one. If you load, why not ?

Comment

I had one for a while and loved it. I would think ammo would be hard to find,

Comment

I have a Mauser Type B that was made in 1904 that’s chambered in 8x57J that’s pretty cool. Being a J bore (.318) it’s obviously a hand loader only cartridge.

Comment

I have a 8mm-300 Express, its a hell of an Africa plains game round. It accounted for kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, wildebeast, and impala. None of them lived long enough to complain about its performance.

Comment

had an uncle that would send us boys to the backside of his place on opening morning. then casually stroll down to a fence line behind his barn, sit on the ground, and shoot his buck with an open sighted german mauser by 730 am . always in the neck ,worked pretty good!

Comment

8mm Remington Magnum was/is bad to da bone. 180gr pill at over 3300fps and over 4200 ftlbs energy. Plenty good for prairie dogs, chee chee birds and wabbits. One must NOT be recoil sensitive to shoot 100 of these per sitting. I prefer 8.5mm or .338 in a short magnum.
              Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-18-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

One of my best friends has a nicely sporterized 8x57 mauser. Great deer round, but ammo has been an issue for him for a while now. Both it an the 8mm mag are more or less "just because" rounds, not that it's a bad thing.

Comment

I’ve got a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM. Only because I put a low bid on it in an auction and wound ups winning it. I killed a few animals with it.

Comment

8X57 think German 30.06, fairly close in performance. 8mm Remington Magnum on the other hand is a real stomper. I've seen quite a bit of 8x57 ammo in the stores recently but can't remember the last time I saw any 8mm Remington.

Comment

Working...
                    X