What rifle for grandkid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What rifle for grandkid?

Want to get my grandson shooting this year. He'll be 6 in October. I have a 300 BO suppressed and got a stock from a TBH'er(name escapes me sorry) a while back. I cut it down, but the internal design was a little off. I've since moved and in the process of getting a house built.(long way to say i don't have time to fine tune the stock).

2 questions.
    What is the going price for a basic .223 in the AR platform(adjustable stock) may need to see what my Colt Trooper MRK III .357 is worth.
    will a .22 caliber silencer work on a .223( my guess is NO)?

It’ll work just fine….. once.

You can find basic ARs for $500 or slightly less with some looking, however I’d spend that money on a Ruger American in 223, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blk, etc. You’ll have a more accurate rifle that’s a little easier for them to learn on. I BELIEVE they make a youth model as well. Don’t hold me to that last part though.

Comment

Hey David get him a Ruger 10/22 with an upgraded trigger. Either start him open sights or put a scope on it. I prefer to start them on open sights just so they get the understanding of open sights. When you move him to the scope just make it a fun game to teach him to see his shots thru the scope with those splatter targets. Keeps them from pulling their head off the scope. In my opinion that’s the hardest habit to break with young shooters they want to see where it hits and becomes a worse habit when they get older. 22 is cheap buy a couple extra mags and let him shoot till the barrel glows red.

Comment

Yeah, I have a savage B22 FVSR & I'm trying to find another stock for it to cut down. frustrating.

His shots would be short. My main concern id LOP for the gun and adjusting as he gets older.

May look into a .223 silencer.

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
          Hey David get him a Ruger 10/22 with an upgraded trigger. Either start him open sights or put a scope on it. I prefer to start them on open sights just so they get the understanding of open sights. When you move him to the scope just make it a fun game to teach him to see his shots thru the scope with those splatter targets. Keeps them from pulling their head off the scope. In my opinion that’s the hardest habit to break with young shooters they want to see where it hits and becomes a worse habit when they get older. 22 is cheap buy a couple extra mags and let him shoot till the barrel glows red.
          I have an old 10/22 I bought in college for 63 dollars new(1976). I also have an extra stock cut down for it. I just don't have the upgraded trigger. That may be an option. Now that I have sold my house and live in a ...err...err..city neighborhood house...I can't just go out the back door and shoot like I used to

Comment

Working...
          X