Improving rifle accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving rifle accuracy

I haven't ever really been a big gun hunter. I got a new APR rifle last year and shot a couple of does with it. I have been practicing a little bit here and there since I'm gonna try amd shoot a cow elk in a couple of weeks. I have noticed that my heartbeat is keeping my crosshairs from being really steady. I've never noticed it before I guess. Is there a pad or something I can put on the stock to help deaden it? I still get good groups, just looking for anything that can help tighten them up even more.

What magnification are you on when shooting? If I’m shooting past 20x I notice it in my glass. I don’t lay any attention to it out to 400-350. Makes a difference past that (to me) especially when I really air it out. The only two things I’ve found to combat it is back the magnification down or really focus and try to squeeze of between heart beats.

Comment

Exhale. Don't hold your breath.

Comment

The magnification was at 18x. I tried to shoot while I was exhaling but I had a hard time staying on target. I was shooting in between breaths after exhaling.

Comment

Well shooting is an art form. Start running or doing something to lower your resting heart rate. Also don’t hold your breath- deep slow relaxed breathing and don’t hold your rifle tight. I was doing it wrong for years and buddy who shot on Army team helped me out.

Comment

And a good crisp, light trigger helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              And a good crisp, light trigger helps a lot.
              This! I have had all my triggers worked on and this made a huge difference. 2-2.5 lbs is money compared to factory setting

Comment

Inhale, exhale. Squeeze, but don’t jerk. Bang!

Comment

You don't need 18x for an elk hunt, dial that magnification down a bit.

Comment

I improved my accuracy by buying a Savage. Sorry but I couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      You don't need 18x for an elk hunt, dial that magnification down a bit.
                      This was my first thought, probably has the X cranked up?
                      I’m baffled by the new long distance hunting craze, 500-800 yards away is bordering on unethical imo.
                      that distance requires special equipment and training 99% of hunters don’t have , wind, temperature, humidity , breathing
                      a Y factor impossible to determine in the field

Comment

Assuming you are on a good rest to eliminate more obvious movements, there is technique to deal effectively with this -- which is only effective with concentration and practice. A good clean light trigger is a must. You also need to slow your heartbeat down as much as possible and it helps to not be exerted or winded, or excited (as in buck fever). The technique varies by individual, but get settled behind the gun and get yourself in the "zone". I like to take a couple of deep breaths (but not too deep) and then on the last one let it out at least half way and pull the trigger while not breathing. However, it needs to be just a few seconds after stopping breathing. If too long, you become unsteady and have to start the process over again. While letting that last breath out, I steady the reticle on target and start putting pressure on the trigger such that soon after stopping breathing I'm ready for the trigger break. You have to really be in the zone at this time and pay attention to your heartbeat in the scope. You will notice that your reticle will jump between two points ever so slightly at each heart beat. I will position my crosshair or dot over the target at one of those points where the scope stops at each heart beat and time my trigger break when the crosshair move back to that point. Again, this takes a lot of concentration and a lot of trigger time so that one knows exactly when the trigger will break. With that said, this kind of precision is not usually needed for typical hunting situations unless shooting really small targets or at extreme ranges. But since the OP asked how best to deal with scope movement due to heartbeat, this is how I deal with it and have taught others to do so. Others may have a different technique.

Comment

Go to rifles only web site and order a copy of precision rifle disk 1 fundamentals dvd. then practice

Comment

Shooting off a bench or prone will show your scope thumping if you have too much cheek weld, or got a death grip on the rifle. If the scope is mounted too far forward and you have to crawl up on the stock to see through the scope will also cause it. There is a big artery that runs along your shoulder and jaw bone, you put a bunch of pressure on that artery and it will show in your scope. I still get it sometimes and have to change my set up a little to make it disappear.

Like some others said, turn that scope down to about 6 or 8 power when you are hunting. Ain't nothin makes you look dumber than when you tell your guide " I can't see him" and he reaches over and turns your scope power down. I done been there

Comment

Radar had that very thing happen to a friend that came up to hunt with us. He is a long range shooter and had an awesome high power scope, he used 6-8 power only all hunt after not being able to pick out the animals at a distance the 1st day.

Comment

Working...
                              X