Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
    Putting the lower together is SIMPLE. The upper is a little more difficult unless you have the correct tools.

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want to build a tactical rifle that will also function as a hunting rifle or are you just interested in a hunting rifle?

A great place to start is Bravo Company (BCM) for a complete upper. Or, you can purchase a complete upper from Noveske right now and they will give you a free lower.

Good luck.
    To start with I am looking at getting the gun (not including optics) in the $1,000 range...again I am a novice...is this possible? Or do I need to re-adjust my budget ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
      To start with I am looking at getting the gun (not including optics) in the $1,000 range...again I am a novice...is this possible? Or do I need to re-adjust my budget ?
      $1000 without optics can be done. Check out BCM.

Comment

Something wicked this way comes......

Click image for larger version

Name:	.50 Beowulf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	23954632

Comment

Originally posted by royal_fox View Post
          Ok, I will be the 1st dummy to ask 6.8 spc what is it short brass or a long brass. Like a 7.62x51 or7.62x39.?
          It will work in the AR15 lower making it short. It is a necked down 35 remington case, and holds about 27-30gr of powder, slightly higher than a 556 case. all you need to do a caliber swap, besides tools, is a barrel and a bolt, and mags. my two C-products were $13/each and perform just as well as Bily's PRIs.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
            $1000 range will get you a new LMT, BCM, almost new Colt 6920, DD XM15/M4.... in other words, top end gear. Drop down to about 750 for a Stag or Spikes Tactical and get a medium grade scope/RDS. Anything else i wouldnt do.
            Last edited by Tommyh; 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post

[ATTACH]190671[/ATTACH]

no wonder you can't buy a miter saw...

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                Corbon started selling 300 whisper ammo, which is why Im even considering it. I order two AAC SCAR-H SD suppressors this week and think a 14.5" 300 whisper w/ pinned AAC MITER Mount and Scar-H would make one hell of a gun. I just need to find a good match barrel for the 300 Whisper and a low profile gas block that allows me to turn off the gas while suppressed and I will start this project.
                Just found this thread and have about 300 pages left to read. Comment on this post. Corbon does sell these rounds, but honestly it is a lot less expensive to load your own. I have the setup to cut 223 rounds down and resize to 300 whisper. I have probably 500 cases cut now. I do my own loads of subsonic using a 220 gr Sierra Match King with 9.1 gr of H110 mag pistol powder. It is really quiet and I do not have to turn gas off. It still cycles. I can do it at a lower powder, but do not get the cycle. I use this gun for hog hunting. Accurate out to 150 yards for sure. Obviously the lower the powder, the lower the total yards. I have Military night vision with Aimpoint and at AAC 7.62 SD suppressor. I got the same mount on my Ar 223 and put the suppressor on that and am able to shoot without ear plugs. Obviously it is virtually impossible to make a 223 subsonic, but it still works. The 300 whisper is a great gun. I built mine for around $800.00. I bought it in parts and put it together. It shoots great. The ONLY problem I find is that when you put a can on, everything gets durty quick...

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post

[ATTACH]190671[/ATTACH]
                  Nice! Do I smell a wolf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lets see if I can get these pictures to work. The first is my 300 Whisper with the MultiCam paint job I did using the duracoat. Did not paint night vision.

The second is a picture of the whisper round. I showed the 223 round and where it was cut, then ground to size along with a 220 gr bullet. By the way, if you decide to load your own, which really cuts down on price especially if you love to shoot the thing, make sure to use civilian brass. Lake City or other military brass types are hard and do not seem to handle as well. Not had any trouble with Rem or Winchester. So if you load for 223 and you have Rem or Winchester that you want to swap for Lake City, let me know.

Comment

Stumbled upon an Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf in my local gun hut and traded even out the door for it. Previous owner installed: Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger and Muzzle Brake. Magpul CTR, Miad Grip, Trigger Guard and Pmags with windows. Enidine Hyd. Buffer. Midwest Quad Rail. Shot it this afternoon and fell in love. It will disintegrate a bowling pin. Recoil was nowhere near what I was expecting, very manageable. In fact I shot it one handed like a pistol, just hard to hold the weight of the rifle up. Very Cool!! Can't wait to put one in a hogs earhole and see the destruction.

Name:	.50 Beowulf1.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	23954708

Name:	.50 Beowulf2.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23954709

.223 and .50 Beowulf comparison.

Name:	.223 and .50 Beowulf.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	23954710

Comment

I'll play...

Here's my BRD and its turning colors...

Name:	100_1462.JPG
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	23954713
                        Bottom 223, 458 SOCOM, 6.8 SPC and on top is a 243 WSSM

Comment

Originally posted by Luck_of_the_Draw View Post
                          I'll play...

Here's my BRD and its turning colors...
                          [ATTACH]190891[/ATTACH]
                          Bottom 223, 458 SOCOM, 6.8 SPC and on top is a 243 WSSM

Did you end up getting the 243 WSSM instead of the 6.5WSSM?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Did you end up getting the 243 WSSM instead of the 6.5WSSM?

for now

found out what the wait was for the 6.5. I was looking at about 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                              It will work in the AR15 lower making it short. It is a necked down 35 remington case, and holds about 27-30gr of powder, slightly higher than a 556 case. all you need to do a caliber swap, besides tools, is a barrel and a bolt, and mags. my two C-products were $13/each and perform just as well as Bily's PRIs.
                              Yeah this is total BS on the casing. I was thinking of all the research from the 6.5 Rem Mag i sold recently being a necked down 350 Rem Mag.

The 6.8spc is its own beast, and my apologies for this blatant disregard of history. the grain weight and lower compatibility are the only things accurate here.

Comment

Thanks TommyH

Comment

Working...
                                X