Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larue only had it listed in black. Google just turned up quite a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Larue only had it listed in black. Google just turned up quite a few.
      Larue, while I love their work, carry VERY limited parts by outside manufacturers. Aim Surplus, Palmetto State Armory, PK Firearms, and of course Bravo are great places to buy your parts.

Buy your optics mount from Larue.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
        By the way, which upper did you buy?

Your BCM BCG will come with a small, black O-ring. Personally, I put them on all my guns with barrels 16" or less.
        I was wondering what the heck to do with that O-ring when I received my BCM last week. I assumed it was an extra. Where is it supposed to go?

Comment

Larue, while I love their work, carry VERY limited parts by outside manufacturers. Aim Surplus, Palmetto State Armory, PK Firearms, and of course Bravo are great places to buy your parts.

Buy your optics mount from Larue.
          Dang...I just ordered a bunch of Magpul stuff from Larue, along with a scope mount. They didn't mention any of the items being out of stock, but they have yet to post the transaction on my bank account...makes me wonder

Comment

Originally posted by DXTApache View Post
            I was wondering what the heck to do with that O-ring when I received my BCM last week. I assumed it was an extra. Where is it supposed to go?
            It slips over the ejector spring on the bolt.

Comment

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome!

Originally posted by Dale Moser
              Yep, now I have to re-read this thread and look at all the opinions on that crap....

I'm already leaning towards the Magpul UBR stock, even though it doesn't come in FDE.

Optics will be Vortex something or other.....

Viking light mount.

I need to go put my hands on some of the accesory stuff before I get too far. After all I just ordered a gun in two pieces that I have no idea how to assemble. Joey says it's no problem though, so I'm looking forward to it.

Of you can spell your name you can attach a lower to an upper! Great choice!

Magpul does make the UBR in FDE.

Are you doing red dot or standard scope optics? Leupold makes a great line of AR scopes. Go with Larue mounts Dale, they are well worth it.

I think I need to upgrade my springs, my springs are standard. That may be my issue, if that doesn't work I'm going to add a PRI fatboy and try that before I look at making gas port size changes.

For Long range guns, I have em, just hardly shoot them! Sad thing is I spend more time building these things than shooting them!

Larue 18" Stealth
              Spike's 6.8 Biohazard (arriving any day)
              Rem M40 build complete in about 30 days
              Bushy BA50 for 1000-1200

I have plans for a semi 762 platform and a 300 win M24 build but those are about a year out.

Comment

Standard Carbine gas ports are 0.062"

The trick is, buy a good barrel and make the gun work without changing the gas port size from what the manufacture did. If you having problems, change buffer weight, buffer spring weight, ejector spring strength, etc, but don't widen the gas port, if you suspect you have a gas port that is to wide, buy a adjustable gas block.

What do factory sbr bbls mic at for the gas ports?? They are going to be overgassed and still make the gun run hotter and wear the lube off faster even if you weigh it down...that is the reason I am cutting down good .062 16" carbine bbls AND using heavier parts plus the specail bolt combination. I'm not a fan of adjustable gas blocks the way I like to run my forearms nor do I want to flick a switch to run sans the can.

I've always had a tendency to go against the grain (no doubt) but I'm convinced this small port set up is they way to go for me and the suppressed sbr. I can only confirm this set up works with a 12.5" tube but will go 11.5 for Dad's build.

One other chap tried cutting the carbine to 10.5" with the .062 but it was only reliable with the suppressor on...with the can removed he said it would not consistantly pick up the next round in the mag.
                Last edited by Artos; 05-21-2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  What do factory sbr bbls mic at for the gas ports?? They are going to be overgassed and still make the gun run hotter and wear the lube off faster even if you weigh it down...that is the reason I am cutting down good .062 16" carbine bbls AND using heavier parts plus the specail bolt combination. I'm not a fan of adjustable gas blocks the way I like to run my forearms nor do I want to flick a switch to run sans the can.

I've always had a tendency to go against the grain (no doubt) but I'm convinced this small port set up is they way to go for me and the suppressed sbr. I can only confirm this set up works with a 12.5" tube but will go 11.5 for Dad's build.

One other chap tried cutting the carbine to 10.5" with the .062 but it was only reliable with the suppressor on...with the can removed he said it would not consistantly pick up the next round in the mag.
                  Ive yet to have problems with my SBRs. The one problem I had was with the LMT 10.5" and that only happened once the gun got dirty. The BCM extractor upgrade fixed that.

Comment

Ive yet to have problems with my SBRs. The one problem I had was with the LMT 10.5" and that only happened once the gun got dirty. The BCM extractor upgrade fixed that.

Overgassing is not a 'problem' per say or bm / rra and dpms would stop doing it...The suppressor just adds to the already overgassed issue. I just like the idea of being able to tune the gun down to dedicated use with the can & still be 100% reliable if I need to remove it for any reason. I understand i'm in the minority or bbl makers would be pushing "suppressed gas port bbls."

My sbr does recoil a bit less than the few others I've tried...both piston and di.

Comment

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome!

I do have to say that my Larue setup does a better job suppressed than my LMT guns. Both LMT guns seem to be a little over gassed when suppressed. I have never had an issue with lock up or cycling, they cycle well, I'm just getting a little more wear than I would like.

Would a heavier spring even work being my problem is in the rotation and action of the bolt not cycling?

So many thoughts to ponder..
                      I guess in theory if I slow down the entire cycle it should smooth out the action reducing wear.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                        I do have to say that my Larue setup does a better job suppressed than my LMT guns. Both LMT guns seem to be a little over gassed when suppressed. I have never had an issue with lock up or cycling, they cycle well, I'm just getting a little more wear than I would like.

Would a heavier spring even work being my problem is in the rotation and action of the bolt not cycling?

So many thoughts to ponder..
                        I guess in theory if I slow down the entire cycle it should smooth out the action reducing wear.

I too would think anything you can do to slow it down should help some travis...certainly wouldn't hurt to go to a tactical spring and say an H3 buffer. Is the wear only on the pin or can you see damage where it has been in contact?? I guess you could try a heavier set up with a new pin and watch.

Like maddox stated, you can also go to the adjustable gas block too.

Comment

I would go with a heavier buffer/spring before I change the gas block.

Like I said, I use a Spikes 9mm buffer (model ST-X I believe) and a Wolff Extra Power Rifle Spring in my carbine tube.

If you shoot Wolf ammo or any other light powder load ammo you will have problems with it cycling.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                            Magpul does make the UBR in FDE.

Are you doing red dot or standard scope optics? Leupold makes a great line of AR scopes. Go with Larue mounts Dale, they are well worth it.

I have zero experience with the red dot sight systems, but I intend to change that before I put something on this new money pit.

Comment

Someone should make a nice long post to cover all the acronyms on here...Sounds like Col. Flag is in the green screen.

Comment

you can spend as little or as much as your bank account can handle, but definitely read the stickies at arfcom about how to tell a real aimpoint from a fake, and there is an eotech thread somewhere too. Consider one of the Trijicons since it doesnt NEED a battery to work and the cool factor is so much more than eotech, and right up there with aimpoint . dont buy ANYTHING with a red/green dot. airsoft/chinese knockoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X