Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome!

Krap, forgot twist 1:7 or depending on who makes it 1:8. 14.5" is best option.

Dale,

Here is a heck of a DD gun.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=752803

Just curious if it has a standard or M16 bolt. Pretty rock solid setup if you're a DD fan, I like em. Some don't, most AR people are fairly loyal.

Comment

OK, we are on the same page. I don't want a bench gun but I do want one accurate sumbuck with no fixed sights and likely a fixed stock for a better cheek weld with a scope. Please go on about the M16 bolt vs std AR bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        OK, we are on the same page. I don't want a bench gun but I do want one accurate sumbuck with no fixed sights and likely a fixed stock for a better cheek weld with a scope. Please go on about the M16 bolt vs std AR bolt?

I know m16 bcg has a little more meat on the tail...for arguement sakes, it weighs more. I didn't think there was any difference in the bolt itself??

Comment

Yall are puttin too much stock in a battle rifle scenario hootus.

It aint the weapon. Its the warrior!

Now....back to toy buildin!
          Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
          l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
          ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
            Yall are puttin too much stock in a battle rifle scenario hootus.

It aint the weapon. Its the warrior!

Now....back to toy buildin!
            If we define "varmint rifle" as too heavy for 1 man and too long to stick out my truck window and "Battle Rifle" as a usable length weapon that can be beat around yet still deliver accurate / dependable shots down range then you are correct! I have no use for the former but did not know the difference.

Comment

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome!

Originally posted by Artos

I know m16 bcg has a little more meat on the tail...for arguement sakes, it weighs more. I didn't think there was any difference in the bolt itself??
              Yeah bolts are essentially bolts, I like running M16 bolt carriers and heavier buffers as it smooths out the action and slows down the cycle. Not so much that you can tell, but the rifle can tell the difference.
              Not all M16 bolt carriers are the same though, my Larue bolt carrier weighs almost 1/4 pound more than my LMT m16 bolt carriers.

It is really important if you are full auto not as much as if you are semi. But it does make a difference.

Also I've noticed my bolt retaining pin takes a beating when firing suppressed, I'm starting to see wear as little as 250 rounds in. I really need to source some better one's.

Any suggestions? Fail Zero?

Yes Joey, the warrior makes the weapon!

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                Also I've noticed my bolt retaining pin takes a beating when firing suppressed, I'm starting to see wear as little as 250 rounds in. I really need to source some better one's.

Any suggestions? Fail Zero?
                Trav, i'm a firm believer in Grant's from G&R idea that the best way to run a suppressed sbr is with a smaller gas port and his bcg / bolt set up. The problem is he's not sharing the various port sizes nor is there enough interest for him to build in quantity. Most sbr shooters are not running cans and want the extra gas...robs is not a big fan of suppressors on sbr's if you read some of his stuff as well.

OK, I'm running a standard carbine length gas system & gas port which is .063 I think. I cut down a dd CHF 16" tube to 12.5" & i've seemed to dial in where I need to be. I run the 'enhanced' lmt bcg but with their 'standard' bolt. I also have a tactical buffer spring and H2 buffer. Without the can, my gun runs like a sewing maching but on the last round, the bolt does not have enough gas to lock it back. So, you just switch mags and run the charging handle. With the can on, it locks back 100% of the time. I hardly ever run the gun without the can anyway. The positives are Lower recoil, less wear on the gun and less gas running through the gun and in turn to the shooter. My guess is your over gassed system is beating up your bolt pin?? I have about 1k through my gun and no evidence of extensive wear.

We've had some correspondence and I'm still trying to get him to make me a 10.3" dd barrel with his correct small gas port but he has too many irons in the fire to mess with it right now. I'm also about to build two sbr uppers, one for my Dad and another for a buddy. One or maybe both will be with another cut down 16" carbine bbl. Should be done in the next 2-3 months right when their nfa returns.

Here is a copy paste from his thread some time back:

Best Suppressed SBR Ever????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The First Problem: Suppressed AR’s have a lot of felt recoil, increased amounts of carbon build up at faster rate, slower on target for follow up shots and burn lubrication off faster.

The First Solution: Build an AR with a much smaller gas port size so that it can utilize the back pressure generated by the suppressor to cycle the weapon.

The Second Problem: Dedicated suppressed AR’s will not cycle enough to pick up a second round, making the weapon useless if the suppressor becomes damaged or removed.

The Second Solution: Find a gas port size that is just big enough to cycle the weapon without the suppressor, but small enough to not exhibit the issues listed in problem one. Then find a way to slow dwell time down in order for the extractor to remain on the casing as long as possible so that the ejector can remove the spent casing and pick up a new round.

Exhibit A: 10.5” upper that is setup specifically for suppressed use.

When I built the 10.5 upper some twelve months ago, I did not realize that I got it just right from the beginning (will explain what I mean later). Below are the specs on the 10.5 upper:

1. Noveske 10.5 N4 Light (with small gas port)
                2. LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier.
                3. LMT Standard Bolt
                4. M4 Upper Receiver
                5. VLTOR CASV (Mid)
                6. H2 Buffer
                7. Tactical Spring Co CS Buffer Spring
                8. SureFire MB556
                9. SureFire K Can
                10. PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle

Above upper has been through two carbine schools with about six thousand rounds through it. No issues shooting suppressed or none suppressed.

With the success of the above 10.5, I wanted to try and create a better mouse trap by using the new KAC URX II, Fail Zero M4 Upper Receiver, Fail Zero BCG and a Noveske 11.5” N4 Light barrel with a small gas port.

We ordered the custom 11.5 N4 Light from the good folks at Noveske and acquired the URX II and Fail Zero items. After machining down the Noveske GB to fit inside of the URX II, we assembled the upper. The lower used was the same one that I used on the 10.5 upper mentioned above. It had an H2 buffer and Tactical Spring CS buffer spring in stalled in it.

For testing purposes, I loaded up a PMAG with one round and installed the SF K Suppressor on the barrel. Fired one round. BCG locked back. SUCCESS! Wanting to see what I could get away with, I installed an H3 buffer. Loaded one round and got the bolt to lock back again! Cool I thought. Now let’s test this upper WITHOUT the suppressor on it (as I need the weapon to still cycle without the can on, but does not need to lock back). There is a VERY fine line here between the weapon extracting the round, picking up a new round, but not locking back.

With the suppressor off, I loaded one round into the mag and fired the weapon. No brass came out. Hmmm. I pulled back the CH and ejected the spent casing. I removed H3 buffer and installed an H2 and tried it again. No joy. Removed the H2 and went to an H buffer. Still no luck. Removed the H and installed a Car Buffer. Again, no luck. Now I am really wondering what is going on. The spring that is installed in the lower is a CS spring so I thought that was what was doing me in. I grabbed a standard SS carbine buffer spring and stayed with the Car buffer. Same result. The casing had to be manually removed. Grrrrrrr!!!

At the end of my rope with this configuration, I told Adam (board member that works in my shop part time) what was happening and he suggested that we install the LMT Enhanced Carrier that we used in my 10.5 upper. I said; “that won’t make any difference as it is actually going to remove more pressure and make it worse.” Boy was I wrong! This is where the story gets interesting and is the lesson on extractor dwell time.

I removed the Fail Zero BCG and installed the LMT Enhanced Carrier and Standard Bolt. I kept the SS buffer spring and Car Buffer. The suppressor is still off the weapon. I loaded one round and fired the weapon! VICTORY! The casing ejected from the weapon! With this success, I loaded up two rounds in the mag to see if the BCG would come back far enough to pick up and load the second round. Success again! Now I wanted to see how heavy a buffer I could get away with. I tried H, H2 and H3. All worked with the H3 pushing the envelope and only getting an ejection distance about two feet.

So how can this be? How can the LMT Enhanced Carrier make this big of a difference??? Remember that the gun would NOT EJECT the casing at ALL with the standard BCG, but with the Enhanced Carrier I could run all the way up to an H3 buffer and it would eject and pick up the next round. What is happening with the Enhanced Carrier has slightly angled cam area which helps with bleeding off excess gas (slowing everything down). This allows for more positive extraction which in turn allows the ejector to push out the spent casing from the weapon. Simply fascinating stuff and if you would have told me this, I would said BS!

Commonly, we have view the LMT Enhanced Carrier as a useful tool for helping bleed off excess gas on a suppressed weapon. I also now view it as a good idea for guns that are short stroking as well.

The last little piece of info I have gotten from this build is that a suppressor generates at least DOUBLE the pressure created by the cartridge. So if you have an AR with an above average gas port (BM, Oly, DPMS, all piston operated AR’s), you are going to get at least double the felt recoil (if not more)!

Exhibit B:

1. Noveske 11.5 N4 Light (with small gas port).
                2. KAC UXR II
                3. LMT Enhanced Bolt Carrier
                4. Fail Zero Bolt
                5. Fail Zero M4 Upper Receiver
                6. SureFire MB556
                7. SureFire K Can
                8. PRI GB CH
                9. SS Car Buffer Spring
                10. H3 Buffer

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                  Or better yet, 14.5" w/ pinned vortex flash hider 1:7 twist barrel.
                  I saw one of these somewhere yesterday, but can't find it now.....

Comment

Im running my suppressed SBRs with standard gas ports, BUT Im using a M16 BCG, a HEAVY 9mm buffer, and a Wolff Extra Power Rifle Buffer Spring in a Carbine buffer tube. Yes, the Wolff Rifle buffer works in a carbine tube without binding. I have no complaints with my SBRs and they have been running 100%. The only one I had a problem with was my LMT 10.5" and that problem went away once I upgrade the extractor spring.

Comment

Any of you guys do long range stuff? It seems everybody on here is doing tactical type stuff.

Me personaly I like the long range stuff, but I dont use the 5.56 for that

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                        Im running my suppressed SBRs with standard gas ports

do you happen to know what the standard sbr gas port sizes are?? Just wondering (curious) if the 10.5-12.5 are all the same from the various mfgs and what they gauge at...

Originally posted by RedTx View Post
                        Any of you guys do long range stuff? It seems everybody on here is doing tactical type stuff.

Me personaly I like the long range stuff, but I dont use the 5.56 for that

Snipershide is the best place for long range info...my class iii buddy teaches classes on the stuff but I'm smart enough not to pick up another hobby right now.
                        Last edited by Artos; 05-21-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Ive got my 18" Larue 556 and my 16" Larue Tactical setup as precission guns. You can do tactical and long range together. Just not with a 24" stainless bull barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Snipershide is the best place for long range info...my class iii buddy teaches classes on the stuff but I'm smart enough not to pick up another hobby right now.
                            Yeah im on snipershide, but just wondered if ayone on here was into long range?

Comment

Alright, I'm getting close on an upper here. What do you boys think about the BCM "standard" uppers? Quality stuff, or should I wait for something else?

Found the one I want......credit card is getting warm....

Comment

man... I have troube deciding what to tell my barber when it comes time to cut my hair.

How you guys ever wade through all these choices amazes me.

Comment

Working...
                                X