Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome!

Originally posted by Artos
    which company would you use to make a custom ar barrel?? All the 7.62x39 tubes will have a .311 bore, which I don't want.
    Paul,

There is a company out of Apopka, FL that Spikes recommends, Ballistic Advantage LLC, google them, from what I understand they do a good job and can do anything.

My only issue thus far is I think they only do chrome molybdenum or stainless, ionbond and bead blast no problem, if I do the 7.62x39 with them I will probably do a heavy stainless, fluted and bead blasted. Just to get a better pipe than the moly.

But this is all real formative right now, depending on who's bolt I will use, LMT is the best in what research I've done bolt wise, with ar performance next, avoid Delton and Model 1 at all cost. But, LMT no longer makes them and are becoming scarce.

If I go with ARP I may do their barrel as well. Still mulling it all over.

Leggy,

Jump on in! I started the same way Maddox did and am up to 8 builds thus far, some I've sold. Like he also said build tactical in mind, not varmint, I don't know of a well built tactical gun that can't outperform or match a varmint build.

Put any gun over 18" out of your mind, they're to heavy to lug around.

Comment

Here's the link Paul.

Comment

Mike,

Any issues with a Glock 19? I'd end up with a slightly longer barrel with a tactical thread.

My only issue is this, once I buy a Glock, get a threaded barrel, and put the safety in, I could just buy a HK USP Tac. So many decisions!
        Last edited by mesquitecountry; 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post

thanks...looks like they are using lothar bbls. I'm a fan.

Comment

You know more about barrels than me Paul, is that chrome moly enough for shooting wolf? I have some brass but most of my stuff is plinking rounds.

Just called a shop on a glock with cominolli, 625 shipped plus 175 for a barrel, may be better to get a USP tac. But krap, I wonder if I can get a 1/2x28 thread for a USP, sometimes I think I make life too difficult!

Comment

I was watchin a show on the sportsman channel about AR's and it had a Leupold site system with a reflex on a scope that looked like something I want on one of mine but I can't find it. Y'all know where I might find it. I think they called it a Sparton system.

Comment

Anybody heard of DSA?
                Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

I guess it really depends on your cleaning habbits trav...ss is going to be much more forgiving over a standard moly bbl, ESPECIALLY when using a can as the inert gasses seem to cause an environment not very friendly for steel. Now if the moly bbl is properly chrome lined from muzzle to crown, then that has advantages over ss in some applications. I'm not an sks/AK shooter, what sort of bbls have they been using??

My application would be dedicated sub-sonic upper so the bbl is not as critical as I would look for in a full blown battle gun. I'm also pretty sure that all 7.62x39 tubes (and reamers) are going to be a .311 bore which is great for bulk resale ammo but not for the reloader and all the available 308 pills.

For me, it really boils down to brass...i'm not sure how thin the necks get on the whisper, price, etc. All just part of the disease to keep you over-thinking what should be easy.

Comment

For you guys with the Larue scope mounts....
                    Are any of you having clearance issues with your optics and BUS? I noticed Larue has the standard height mount, and the slightly elevated mount for additional clearance. I would prefer to go with the standard height mount if it doesn't cause clearance issues with the BUS...

I have a Troy BUS, and I'm planning on using a Leupold 3 x 9 for my optics.

Comment

I should have never started research on this........

It's like a 3 letter abreviation kick to the cods....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I should have never started research on this........

It's like a 3 letter abreviation kick to the cods....
                        D~Mo is rurnt!
                        Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                        l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                        ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
                          Anybody heard of DSA?
                          Ya, they make FALs

Comment

berg, you need to be at the driving range....

Comment

Originally posted by DXTApache View Post
                              For you guys with the Larue scope mounts....
                              Are any of you having clearance issues with your optics and BUS? I noticed Larue has the standard height mount, and the slightly elevated mount for additional clearance. I would prefer to go with the standard height mount if it doesn't cause clearance issues with the BUS...

I have a Troy BUS, and I'm planning on using a Leupold 3 x 9 for my optics.

my advice is to email / call Larue and give them detailed info on your set up...may take a day or two, but the answer will be solid.
                              Last edited by Artos; 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos

my advice is to email / call Larue and give them detailed info on your set up...may take a day or two, but the answer will be solid.
                                I know the magpul mbus takes the higher mount the new mbus 2.5 will work on the 104.

Patek,

I'm ready, like lunch meat, just open it up and dig in!

Comment

Working...
                                X