Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shameless plug for a Noveske upper and CMMG lower in the classifieds

Comment

Okay, I have to get something off my chest......

I'm really starting to think shotguns in their current form are completely outdated by design and by cartridge. Hog hunting with buck even 3" just barely will stop a hog dead at 40 yards, usually just slow them down. Has the modernization of AR's made the old shotty obsolete in it's current form?

IMO, yes.

The 12 gauge needs a modernization both round and cycle wise. Where are the mags? Tubes are way outdated!

The KSG is cool but it still uses tubes, the saga is cool but not that popular yet.

I mean the best Remington can do is a flash hider with points and 7 rounds? Whoopdydoo!

The AA12 looks like the answer but they're locked down and won't make a semi, and the military isnt running out to purchase thousands of them. They keep trying to sell it as some robotic gun but when the 20 round drum runs out then the insurgents are going to burn that million dollar a machine unit to the ground with AK rounds. Robotic guns need belt fed weapons.

We need some harder hitting ammo wise for personal defense and big game hunting, magazines, and softer recoil utilizing 3" shells. Oh, and a silencer worth a krap would be nice! That and a 1000-1500 price tag max!

I just think the shotgun is pretty much a Bird hunting weapon in this day and age.

Feel free to discuss away!

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
        I just think the shotgun is pretty much a Bird hunting weapon in this day and age.
        Was it ever meant to be anything else Travis?

I will be picking up a KSG though

Comment

I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a load of 00 Buck!

I think they are a very viable self defense weapon given that the operator knows it's limitations, pretty much like any other weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a load of 00 Buck!

I think they are a very viable self defense weapon given that the operator knows it's limitations, pretty much like any other weapon.
            I didn't intend to say they were useless. I wouldn't want to get shot by one either. I'm just saying, the technology is way outdated. For the most part we're still using the exact same ammunition they used in the civil war! Lead balls is the best we can do in the last century? That and a tube that is very slow to fill by today's standards.

I guess the saiga weapon is the best advancement thus far, but even it uses 50+ year old technology.

Comment

most firearm designs are quite old .... today's and tomorrow's military shotguns serve a purpose in the right situation .. maybe the "cool" ammo can't be bought at walmart , but there's some interesting projectiles designed nowadays .. (about 4:30 to 5:00 in the video) full mag dump in 4 seconds at 100 meters ...with 9ft shrapnel dispersion ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-esAq-pbd4"]YouTube - Future Weapons - AA-12 Full-auto Shotgun | Airsoft Gun | Pistols | M4 | Ak-47 | Sniper Rifle[/ame]

Comment

geeeeez way to many dang numbers and stuff I dont understand. Is there another site where I can go to check and learn the terms. Im wanting to get a ar soon, Just not sure if I should build one ( dont know how) or purchase one built.

Comment

Originally posted by berto View Post
                  geeeeez way to many dang numbers and stuff I dont understand. Is there another site where I can go to check and learn the terms. Im wanting to get a ar soon, Just not sure if I should build one ( dont know how) or purchase one built.
                  www.m4carbine.net and go to the General forums. read the stickies at the top and soak up all the knowledge that site has.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                    most firearm designs are quite old .... today's and tomorrow's military shotguns serve a purpose in the right situation .. maybe the "cool" ammo can't be bought at walmart , but there's some interesting projectiles designed nowadays .. (about 4:30 to 5:00 in the video) full mag dump in 4 seconds at 100 meters ...with 9ft shrapnel dispersion ...

YouTube - Future Weapons - AA-12 Full-auto Shotgun | Airsoft Gun | Pistols | M4 | Ak-47 | Sniper Rifle
                    I agree the AA-12 is cool and the new rounds that the military and contractors are developing are no doubt cool, but where in the heck are the manufacturer's for civilian purchase? Sure most all weapons are old design but shotguns in their current form are pretty much unchanged since the 1800's.

Basically I'm saying, we need an AR type weapon that accepts mags, 12 gauge, with some new shot options, and reliable mags and drums. Who wouldn't want a gun where you can change mags and be able to shoot 200-300 yard slugs (maybe a lighter weight slug, 410 slug on a 12 ga wad), or swap out in seconds for a buck shot mag and use it for self defense. Ten round mags, or drums. Double stack the mags like the new Surefire or the proposed Magpul and rock and roll with 15-20 round mags.

Oh and around 8-10 pounds and lighter recoil! Who wouldn't buy that?

Comment

travis,
                      just the weight of the ammo is a deciding factor.
                      between a load out of 160 rounds of 12ga or 160 rounds of 5.56, Im toting the 5.56

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                        I agree the AA-12 is cool and the new rounds that the military and contractors are developing are no doubt cool, but where in the heck are the manufacturer's for civilian purchase? Sure most all weapons are old design but shotguns in their current form are pretty much unchanged since the 1800's.

Basically I'm saying, we need an AR type weapon that accepts mags, 12 gauge, with some new shot options, and reliable mags and drums. Who wouldn't want a gun where you can change mags and be able to shoot 200-300 yard slugs (maybe a lighter weight slug, 410 slug on a 12 ga wad), or swap out in seconds for a buck shot mag and use it for self defense. Ten round mags, or drums. Double stack the mags like the new Surefire or the proposed Magpul and rock and roll with 15-20 round mags.

Oh and around 8-10 pounds and lighter recoil! Who wouldn't buy that?
                        man , you're dreaming now ... first ar use aluminum lowers, don't think they could take 12G recoil very long , second mag well is too small , you'd have to go bigger , longer and wider , then comes the mag issues a 10 rd aa12 mag is huge .. 20's are drums .. slugs to 300 yards ? ballistic coefficient of such blunt and large diameter round would make it impossible .. it just drops down and slows down too fast .. double stack mags bring the issue of the weight of the ammo and spring tension issues ... the saiga is the only decent design at even at that mine was a jamo matic ..

based on all this , I think your best bet is still a pump .. I like the new kel-tec KSG .. except that it's made by kel-tec .. and the mag switch ... wich mean they'll probalby only make 10 a month , and have a bunch or recalls ..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN8jHSEhCE"]YouTube - Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)[/ame]
                        Last edited by imyomama; 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

PULL!!!!
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASLaYVqz9kc&feature=related"]YouTube - Red Jacket Firearms Suppressed 12 Gauge Shotgun[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                            man , you're dreaming now ... first ar use aluminum lowers, don't think they could take 12G recoil very long , second mag well is too small , you'd have to go bigger , longer and wider , then comes the mag issues a 10 rd aa12 mag is huge .. 20's are drums .. slugs to 300 yards ? ballistic coefficient of such blunt and large diameter round would make it impossible .. it just drops down and slows down too fast .. double stack mags bring the issue of the weight of the ammo and spring tension issues ... the saiga is the only decent design at even at that mine was a jamo matic ..

based on all this , I think your best bet is still a pump .. I like the new kel-tec KSG .. except that it's made by kel-tec .. and the mag switch ... wich mean they'll probalby only make 10 a month , and have a bunch or recalls ..

YouTube - Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)
                            I said AR type, the current configuration will not work, and slug wise I'm saying a lighter slug, with the advanced powders we have today, we should be able to ring a gong at 300 all day. Maybe I'm dreaming.

The KSG looks cool, but you're right a Kel-Tec is a Kel-Tec, I guess I'll keep dreaming and just keep shooting NATO rounds and leave the shotguns to the birds! I quit using my 12 as a home defense weapon also. Straight 40 cal with a tlr-2 strobe and a grip laser, and keep building AR's.

I'd use my 458 sbr, but I'm pretty sure I'd go deaf if I fired it inside the house!

Comment

youre going to go deaf no matter what you shoot inside your house. ever done it before? NOT pretty

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                                youre going to go deaf no matter what you shoot inside your house. ever done it before? NOT pretty
                                I shot out of my laundry room into my back yard once to test it. My ears rang for a while but recovered. Yes it does suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X