Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    And your chart there proves my point. Like always, it comes down to ammo selection.

The Hornady 75 grain OTM is my choice for home defense with a carbine. M855/SS109 is a poor choice due to overpenetration.
    If I ever build a 5.56 SBR that would be the only rounds I run in it.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      If I ever build a 5.56 SBR that would be the only rounds I run in it.
      the fact you do not already have one is shameful...

Comment

I love the idea behind the blackout but, with ammo in short supply I am in no way inclined to build one right now. I much prefer NATO round weapons. A gun without ammo is just an expensive stick.

Comment

I love the idea behind the blackout but, with ammo in short supply I am in no way inclined to build one right now. I much prefer NATO round weapons. A gun without ammo is just an expensive stick.
          you really need to start reloading...No way am I buying factory 6.8

i shoot 75 gr Hornady hollow point match in my sbr

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            the fact you do not already have one is shameful...
            Ha. I like sbr's that entire 5.56 rounds slide down the barrel. I'll buy a 300 bo or 762x39 sbr before a 5.56. May just do ak sbr's.

Comment

I'd kinda have to disagree with you there Travis. Truth is handguns and their chamberings are pretty poor self defense choices, they can just be stuffed into a convenient sized package to carry. The survival rate from gunshot wounds from handguns is surprisingly high. A 5.56 with the right load is a nasty round for CQB.

If your gonna carry a rifle, at least carry a rifle cartridge.

Clint Smith (or one of those self defense guys that do it for a living) is of the mindset that you use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun to fight your way to your rifle.
              I see a double standard here .. the right handgun with the right ammunition and it's lights out !! I don't know too many people that can take a 44 mag in the chest at lunch and go out to diner the same evening .. many 556/223 loads don't cut the mustard either only a few do... take a colt 9mm carbine supressed or an mp5 and you have just as much fire power , with much less report , more expansion and a bigger wound channel than a run of the mill 10.5 inch 223 ...with ball or surplus ammo

have you ever seen the FBI's 10mm mp5's in action ? it's not pretty on the receiving end...

Comment

Ha. I like sbr's that entire 5.56 rounds slide down the barrel. I'll buy a 300 bo or 762x39 sbr before a 5.56. May just do ak sbr's.
                since I built my 300 blackout , I don't hardly shoot anything else .. I can shoot the 220's or 125's in the same gun , it's quiet , and so far it's brought home the bacon !

I'm,not sure what it sounds like unsuppressed ... i've never tried with the can off ... and frankly I don't see why I would want to ...

ammo from different manufacturers is in the works .. remington and a few reloading outfits already offer it .. and if you reload , there's a ton of possibilities in 30 cal including some people working on subsonic expanding bullets ... so you're getting 357 mag power in terms of energy , but you can shoot all day with your wife next to you and your dog on your lap.. no ear plugs required .. (around 125 db- subs ).

Comment

Mmmmmmm really want...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ"]YouTube - 300 Whisper / 300 Blackout / 300 Fireball brass being made from .223 brass.[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                    I see a double standard here .. the right handgun with the right ammunition and it's lights out !! I don't know too many people that can take a 44 mag in the chest at lunch and go out to diner the same evening .. many 556/223 loads don't cut the mustard either only a few do... take a colt 9mm carbine supressed or an mp5 and you have just as much fire power , with much less report , more expansion and a bigger wound channel than a run of the mill 10.5 inch 223 ...with ball or surplus ammo

have you ever seen the FBI's 10mm mp5's in action ? it's not pretty on the receiving end...
                    Well, I know very few people who use a 44 mag for defense purposes, but we are getting off track with that.

No I haven't seen a 10mm MP5 in action but I am a big 10mm fan, I own 3 of them at the moment. I have considered buying one of the Olympic uppers (I know, I know) and having it made into an SBR. That would be wicked in a 10.5" barrel SBR I would imagine.

Comment

Well, I know very few people who use a 44 mag for defense purposes, but we are getting off track with that.

No I haven't seen a 10mm MP5 in action but I am a big 10mm fan, I own 3 of them at the moment. I have considered buying one of the Olympic uppers (I know, I know) and having it made into an SBR. That would be wicked in a 10.5" barrel SBR I would imagine.
                      agreed .. than again I know very few people that use a suppressed 556 SBR as their "house gun " as well..

I know a smith currently working on a 9mm and 10mm gas operated upper ... basically making it much more gentle than a conventional blow back system.. he had a working prototype in 9mm .. the gas tube is only 3" long . if he can make it 100% reliable , this should be a pretty nice breakthrough for pistol caliber SBR ar platform ...

Comment

now if we could get pointy 10mm bullets to run in those 10mm uppers.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                          agreed .. than again I know very few people that use a suppressed 556 SBR as their "house gun " as well..

I know a smith currently working on a 9mm and 10mm gas operated upper ... basically making it much more gentle than a conventional blow back system.. he had a working prototype in 9mm .. the gas tube is only 3" long . if he can make it 100% reliable , this should be a pretty nice breakthrough for pistol caliber SBR ar platform ...
                          Touche'

I haven't shot a pistol calibered upper yet. Is the recoil impulse that bad on a suppressed pistol caliber?

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                          now if we could get pointy 10mm bullets to run in those 10mm uppers.
                          Pointy 10mm bullets?

Comment

Touche'

I haven't shot a pistol calibered upper yet. Is the recoil impulse that bad on a suppressed pistol caliber?

Pointy 10mm bullets?
                            yeah .. blowback uppers are hard on lowers.. run it on a m16 lower and you could even get your pin holes to hollow out ... and that's just 9mm ... 10 is worse.. the blowback bolts are so much heavier , it's hard on everything , hammers , bolt stops , etc...

that's why he's trying to develop a gas operated bolt .. much easier on the hardware... (he may actually go piston ... I think he's tried both ways ..)
                            either way , he'd be using a 223 style BCG ... not blow back ...

pointy 10mm ? nonsense!! big fat hollow point is where it's at .. the point is a big hole and fast expanding bullet .. not punching a pin hole

Comment

Touche'

Pointy 10mm bullets?
                              better trajectory for less resistance at higher velocities out of longer barrels man. better down range impact!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Nerds, all of ya!

I want one.......
                                I stand behind my original statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X