Dinner tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinner tonight

First, let me say that I’ve always hated anchovies. (Now, normally, this is where my mother would stop me and say, “Ladies don’t ‘hate’. They may ‘dislike’ something, but they never ‘hate’ it.”)

Nope…because I don’t do anything half-way, I’m pretty sure I hate them, so it couldn’t have come as a bigger surprise when, during a spur-of-the-moment trip to Marfa last year, my husband (who LOVES anchovies) ordered what I thought was one of the most wonderfully tantalizing appetizers I’ve ever had, and it was simply this: potato chips…and anchovies.

It’s taken a while, but as I’ll often do when I discover a new dish I like, I try to replicate it at home, and maybe even improve on it, especially if it’s something my husband particularly enjoyed. This time, in the interim, I discovered something new and novel—white anchovies! They are a completely different level of “delicious” so they, too, have been included in the ingredient list. For added interest, in both flavor as well as texture, I added a drizzle of high quality olive oil and brined some small sweet peppers for contrast.

I’m not going to tell you that even if you hate anchovies you’ll still love this dish, but I was pleasantly surprised; so much so that this appetizer has become part of my family’s culinary lexicon. (Except for my mother…she hates anchovies.). Here it is pictured below:
    Attached Files

Looks spectacular. I for one don't have over come the dread of the anchovies. Maybe a little salty but good. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Kettle chips and white anchovies? Uh. I guess I'm game.

Comment

I will mow some anchovies on my ceasar salad but NOT on pizza, just can't make that combo work. I'd be open to trying them any way once.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Kettle chips and white anchovies? Uh. I guess I'm game.

I know, I thought the same way. I’ll say this, however; the next time I make this, I’ll be frying my own chips. My husband told me to get the kettle chips “and make it easy on myself.” (I’m always suspicious when he tells me to “make it easy on myself.” Uh, huh…what is it you REALLY want, buddy?)
          Anyway, kettle chips were a little too sweet for my liking. Hubby scarfed them down, but he’ll eat anchovies on anything, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We had anchovies in Portugal that were dynamite.

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
              We had anchovies in Portugal that were dynamite.

White or brown? How were they served?

Comment

Look up the recipe for pasta putanesca. Delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post
                  Look up the recipe for pasta putanesca. Delicious.

Duh!! Why didn’t I think of this sooner??

Comment

Looks like I may need to step outside of my comfort zone and try some Anchovies. That’s a nice presentation.

Comment

Very clever rhetoric regarding your mother’s hatred of anchovies. I first knew I loved anchovies when I had a Caesar salad made from scratch in front of me.

I will definitely give this a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Looks like I may need to step outside of my comfort zone and try some Anchovies. That’s a nice presentation.
                        That was so last night…

Tonight was my version of Stephen Pyles’s Copper River Salmon Ceviche. I haven’t been able to get my hands on Copper River Salmon for a couple or three years now, and I refuse to make this ceviche without it. This recent scarcity, coupled with the fact that it’s my husband’s favorite ceviche, had me spending over $40/lb for this delectable ruby red fish flesh. The picture does not do it justice, but it was still good.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          Very clever rhetoric regarding your mother’s hatred of anchovies. I first knew I loved anchovies when I had a Caesar salad made from scratch in front of me.

I will definitely give this a try.

I’ve always loved a good Caesar salad and, as far as I’m concerned, a good Caesar salad can not be made without anchovies…or raw egg yolk.

My husband and I had the privilege of experiencing a “table side” Caesar salad at a restaurant in Manchester, VT, when we made our first-ever pilgrimage to Mecca (also known as the Orvis flagship store and shooting school) in 2016. It was here that I learned that having a good recipe for Caesar dressing is not enough; that one does not simply “make” a Caesar salad, rather, it is “built,” preferably in the same (wooden) bowl in which it is served.

And, as God is my witness, I WILL go back there again one day. He**, I might even go shoot while I’m there.

Comment

I’m a fan of anchovies. Cook with them all the time .

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                              First, let me say that I’ve always hated anchovies. (Now, normally, this is where my mother would stop me and say, “Ladies don’t ‘hate’. They may ‘dislike’ something, but they never ‘hate’ it.”)

Nope…because I don’t do anything half-way, I’m pretty sure I hate them, so it couldn’t have come as a bigger surprise when, during a spur-of-the-moment trip to Marfa last year, my husband (who LOVES anchovies) ordered what I thought was one of the most wonderfully tantalizing appetizers I’ve ever had, and it was simply this: potato chips…and anchovies.

It’s taken a while, but as I’ll often do when I discover a new dish I like, I try to replicate it at home, and maybe even improve on it, especially if it’s something my husband particularly enjoyed. This time, in the interim, I discovered something new and novel—white anchovies! They are a completely different level of “delicious” so they, too, have been included in the ingredient list. For added interest, in both flavor as well as texture, I added a drizzle of high quality olive oil and brined some small sweet peppers for contrast.

I’m not going to tell you that even if you hate anchovies you’ll still love this dish, but I was pleasantly surprised; so much so that this appetizer has become part of my family’s culinary lexicon. (Except for my mother…she hates anchovies.). Here it is pictured below:
                              lol! I caught that subtlety.

I don't dislike anchovies...need to try the white anchovies.

Comment

Working...
                              X