Salted dried small shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salted dried small shrimp

Was in the Navy with a guy from deep south, Louisiane . His mother would send him goodie boxes with small salted dried shrimp, We eat it like popcorn. Anyone ever heard of it? Any ideas how to make?

Haven't seen any in years but they used to sell little packs of them in the stores like jerky.

Comment

They sell Pops Golden Gems at HEB. I buy them and add them to my seafood stock when I am making seafood gumbo.

Comment

Pretty much every gas station in South Texas has them in the same area they keep the Mexican candy or the Michalada stuff. They are usually in little packs stapled to long cardboard strip...

Comment

Always wondered what they were for. See the bags on the bicycle carts being pedaled around.

Comment

Made them as a kid with my Grandpa. He would boil them in heavily salted water and then put them a thin tray with 1/8 inch hardware cloth on one side and leave in the sun. Every so often come out and give them a good shake to get the shells off until they were dry enough. They're called "dried shrimp" in Louisiana.

Comment

Forgot about those, use to eat them all the time when I was a kid.

Comment

Amazon has them.

Comment

Ever Indian owned gas station around where I live has them .

Comment

I can literally drive 2 mins away to a little corner store and get some. They come with a little packet of hot sauce.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Walmart.com has the Pops brand from Opelousas, La.
                      We used to get them for 25 cents. Now they are about $3.

Comment

I use them in Jambolia !

Comment

white Falcon .... PM me your address and I'll mail you some

you can find those at every grocery store in South LA. I buy them all the time (2-3x's / month)

I use the powdered shrimp version for my seafood gumbo, it's the real deal

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Mmm Mmm

Comment

Working...
                              X