No Name Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Name Recipe

A few weeks ago I asked for input on a dish I had one time at a small independent Mexican restaurant in Baton Rouge that I really liked. Although I tried to replicate this dish once before, it turned out good and was close, but not the same as I had at the restaurant. So since it has been a while since that attempt, I decided to try again -- and basically repeated what I had done earlier, but this time made a mental note of what I would do different in an attempt to duplicate the wonderful dish I had at that restaurant. So, here is exactly what I did and I will include some recommendations for improvement (I think) at the end. Sorry for the rushed pics.

Here are the main ingredients, aside from the tortilla chips that I made ahead of time and ground beef.

Chips were made by lightly coating flour tortillas with melted butter, sprinkling lightly with garlic salt, cutting into strips, and baking at 275 until crisp.

I start the gravy by making a blond roux (equal parts flour and oil) and browning it slightly. Added some water (only because I did not have beef stock on hand) and let it come to a boil briefly.

Then I added some Tony's Brown Gravy mix to thicken and season it, which effectively turns this into a brown gravy.

While the gravy was simmering, I sauteed some onions in a separate pan, and then added a pound of ground beef to brown and seasoned with Tony's Creole seasoning.

While the ground beef was browning, I added a can of Ro-Tel to the brown gravy, and a teaspoon of Savoie's dark roux to thicken it up a bit.

While that was simmering, I sauteed the jar of napolitos and bell pepper together.

Once those softened slightly and heated thoroughly, the plating started. Ground beef with onions was placed over a plate of the napolitos and bell pepper.

The gravy (now a mix of brown gravy with tomato and chillies) was spooned over the top of the ground beef.

And topped with the tortilla chips.

Again, while this was really delicious, it was not exactly as that I had at the restaurant. The difference was in the gravy. The original restaurant gravy seemed to me to be a mix of medium brown gravy with a chunky tomato sauce with few detectable pieces of green chillies and really well seasoned. While the can of Ro-Tel is easy, it is probably not the best source to try and duplicate the tomato sauce used in the restaurant gravy. However, because it so easy I probably will stick with the Ro-Tel again. Because it is so “liquidy” it does dilute the already thicken gravy a good deal. I will probably use more than 1 teaspoon of the Savoie’s roux next time (or tomato paste instead of the roux) or/and increase the ratio of brown gravy to the 1 can of Ro-Tel. The only other thing I would change is to partially sauté the bell peppers before introducing the nopalitos (since they are already cooked) and possibly add beef stock instead of water initially.
    Otherwise, this is a fairly easy and delicious dish to make. Each ingredient is a compliment to the dish and the unusual (for me) gravy and crispy chips just brings in all together well. If someone comes up with any ways to improve, please post it.

Comment

This looks delicious and very different from the usual and ubiquitous Tex Mex fare we're used too.

Comment

Yes, not the typical Tex Mex, but not sure how to classify it. Quite different than what I am used to, but it’s definitely a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
          a dish I had one time at a small independent Mexican restaurant in Baton Rouge
          what's the name of the restaurant ? I might be able to aquire the recipe or figure it out if I go eat there

Comment

Looks Tasty! TY for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              what's the name of the restaurant ? I might be able to aquire the recipe or figure it out if I go eat there
              Hey Blake, thanks but that restaurant is no longer in business. It was a small, hole in the wall place. The owner left before we got back to it and the building was vacant for a long time. Never figured out where the restaurant owner went. All I know is he was Hispanic and his specialty was gravy/sauces. My first impression to this dish (aside from the Wow factor) was that this gravy was a mix of brown and red gravy, seasoned just right. That’s what it seemed like, hence my attempt to try it.

Comment

Any chance the missing taste is chili powder, paprika, and cumin...or a combination of?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                  Any chance the missing taste is chili powder, paprika, and cumin...or a combination of?
                  I would do away with the overly salty Tony's and use the ingredients mentioned above.

Comment

Being a Mexican restaurant, I would assume it was a mole sauce.

Comment

Panal Sucio would be a good name.

I would kill all the Cajun stuff and look to make a carne molida con poblano.
                      Your the only one that knows what you are trying to come up with so good luck!!

Comment

Looks like a variant of carne guidsada. Cajunified and with ground beef.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                          Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          I would do away with the overly salty Tony's and use the ingredients mentioned above.
                          I don’t think I have ever had a mole sauce but I bet it probably was some variant of that. Was rich and savory but not overly seasoned. No strong accent of chili powder, paprika, or cumin.

A mix of brown gravy and Ro-Tel with a dab of dark roux is a good and acceptable substitute, but not the real deal.

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

Working...
                            X