wild hog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wild hog?

OK, what is the secret to it then? Wild hog that is? How do you guys that eat it prepare it? I have taken young female hogs-treated just like deer-ice chest x 7-10 days, I have tried soaking in Italian dressing, tried BBQ, etc...and really the only way we can get it to be edible is ground or sausage, and we just don't eat that much sausage around here?

It still bothers me to bust a hog and leave it for the yotes...but I know nature wastes nothing. I'd just like to exhaust all avenues before giving up

Dvae

I've never had any problem with the taste of wild hogs cooking just like domestic hog.

Comment

make sure you are removing the glands

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
        make sure you are removing the glands
        Yup. Fast forward to 16:00 for gland location and removal.

Steve joins ranch manager and wildlife biologist Ben Binnion for a couple of days during his annual pig roundup to learn about the other side of the Texas hog story.

Comment

Wild pork

Im a professional pork and beef dude. Lol. Them wild ones taste way better than the ones u buy! I just try and kill sows only! O testosterone, also remove any of those brown green alien looking glands!!! Heres my opinion. Trim most of the fat off a wild pig! Soak your meat in ice and apple juice (cheap kind) and u dont have to do this part!!!your binder should be mustard or honey mustard then a sweet dry rub for pork and i like to use alot of brown sugar if im doing the ribs! Smoke on smoker low heat 225-250 almost like a beef brisket and i like to wrap mine with foil at the end and finish it in the oven! Finger licking goodness! I enclosed a pic of a wild cured smoked ham i did! Better than any store
          Attached Files

Comment

Post oak and pecan wood are King!

Comment

where you killed them also matters! I’ve killed them in Brazoria County and they are good, in rock springs and those have been good, in Fredericksburg 15 minutes north of town and they were absolutely horrible - tasted like dirt!

Comment

Delish!

Leave the big boars lay but them sows get butchered!!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

That's probably one of the best tasting and textured game meat around. You must be doing something wrong. I marinate and grill, make sausage, roast, Fry and it's all good. I have not and probably will not make stew or chili with it though.

Comment

Maybe try it in a crock pot or an oven cooking bag, in the oven. Makes great pulled pork.

Comment

Hair hair hair, take your time and get rid of all the hairs.

Ice mine down 4 days, remove hair and taste great. Sub 100lb sows.

I am no expert but this plan works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                        Hair hair hair, take your time and get rid of all the hairs.

Ice mine down 4 days, remove hair and taste great. Sub 100lb sows.

I am no expert but this plan works every time.

I should add these pigs eat alot of deer corn.

Comment

Making me want to eat and go pig hunting

Comment

Did you ice the meat with the skin on?

Comment

What that wild hog has been eating makes a difference, I live in Matagorda, you can’t eat a pig here
                              But I hunt in South Texas and the pigs are delicious

Comment

Working...
                              X