Sous Vide Deer Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kck View Post
    Looks like a win for sure. I really dig my sous vide cooker as well and I think one of the biggest issues is that people don't have something hot enough to sear on afterward and end up overcooking the meat.
    That is what I learned from just doing it and talking to friends and buy thicker cuts. Not necessarily huge but not 1/2”.

On a similar note on steaks, I have tried a couple of flat iron steaks sous vide. Try came out great. Since they are off the shoulder blade (I think) they are relatively thin and the thickest I have seen are about 3/4” thick.

The good and maybe somewhat strange thing about them if that they look like flank or brisket type with really large muscle fibers. A lot of people know that a sirloin has a lot of flavor but just isn’t tender. The flat iron seems to be a blend of a lot of flavor but way more tender that other similar cuts. I have done a then couple of times and loved the results. It is reported to hold up very well to heat so it can be pushed to medium without becoming tough. No one would think of a 130° to 140° brisket unless boot leather is the goal.

The flat iron steaks that I have tried were at least as tender as NY strip and probably close to ribeye but make sure to cut across the grain.

They run $5 -$8 each. If someone likes to try something different, try to sv a couple of flat iron. You might be surprised and at worst are out a couple of bucks.

Comment

Working...
    X