Gumbo Stock Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumbo Stock Tip

Ok nothing earth shattering here but because I like you guys I’ll throw another little Gumbo bone your way. Most folks know that in a Seafood Gumbo shrimp shells and heads should be reserved for making your stock. But to give it a real kick you can put whole crabs in your Gumbo but crack the shells off and put that in your stock as well. And if you can still afford fresh oysters never, and I do mean never throw the oyster liquid away. Put that directly in your gumbo or your stock either way and you will have an award winning Seafood Gumbo full of seafood flavor. We go through 100 lbs of oysters a week and we freeze the liquid to use in our Gumbo. I hope someone can use this info.
    Last edited by Gumbo Man; 02-05-2022, 01:08 PM.

You’re gonna give away all the secrets! Haha in truth I think it’s great that you share your knowledge with everyone on here. I’ve taught a few friends how to make gumbo and jambalaya but they all end up just wanting me to make a pot; especially if we’re at the camp or on a hunting trip. This site is still a great place to interact with good people and learn things.

Good weekend for some gumbo too!

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Tine View Post
      You’re gonna give away all the secrets! Haha in truth I think it’s great that you share your knowledge with everyone on here. I’ve taught a few friends how to make gumbo and jambalaya but they all end up just wanting me to make a pot; especially if we’re at the camp or on a hunting trip. This site is still a great place to interact with good people and learn things.

Good weekend for some gumbo too!
      Thankyou sir. Everyday is Gumbo weather. When it’s cold we just add a little more cayenne and hot sauce. I try to offer something at least cause I have picked up some awful good ideas from you guys. And cooking is my livelihood. Some of you guys can throw down.

Comment

Great idea on the oyster liquid.

Comment

There are lots of uses for oyster juice!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            There are lots of uses for oyster juice!
            Yep. You need to share that yellow squash recipe. Made a believer out of me.

Comment

I assume you own LeBlancs on 2457? If so we have a place right down the road in memorial point. Ill have to come eat next time im up at the lake.
              Last edited by JakeM; 02-09-2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

You broke the code. Come by and let me meet ya brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  You broke the code. Come by and let me meet ya brother.
                  Will do for sure!

Comment

If you don’t have any Oyster juice. I use Clam Juice from the grocery store. Works good.

Comment

Why am I just now seeing this post?!

You told me your shrimp/crab shell secret in April so I came home and made some. I've used it in a Wild Game Gumbo that my husband loves then, last week, I used in Lobster Tetrazzini (first attempt using my Mom's 1968 recipe). Using the shrimp/crab stock is a game changer as that extra kick of "seafood-i-ness" really shines through.

But the oyster likker? That's a new one on me but it makes sense now that you point it out. Look forward to giving it a try.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Glad you were able to give it a try. I’ve judged Gumbo competitions and the “ old school stock” really separates the winners from the losers.

Comment

that is exactly how I make my stock. I buy the gumbo crabs from HEB and use a mallet to smash the blue crab body and claws and throw them in my stock along with shrimp peels, heads and oysters and juice. Veggies and chicken stock as the original base. One other tip that I learned from my mom from Ville Platte Louisiana, add Pops Golden Dried Shrimp and Shrimp powder to your stock. I have won three seafood gumbo contests, two over the last 6 months with my recipe. Good Stuff!

Comment

I have always used dried shrimp ground up aka shrimp powder. But several years back Cajun Blake recommended this product which adds another layer of flavor that has become a standard ingredient in all my seafood stocks. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231021_075913_Google.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	26617249

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                              I have always used dried shrimp ground up aka shrimp powder. But several years back Cajun Blake recommended this product which adds another layer of flavor that has become a standard ingredient in all my seafood stocks. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231021_075913_Google.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	26617249
                              Better Than Bouillon products are the best bouillon products on the market. If you haven’t them yet, you’re missing out.

Comment

Working...
                              X