Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Let's make some javelina barbacoa tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's make some javelina barbacoa tacos

Gringo style.
    I copycatteed a venison recipe from The Goode Life YouTube channel. Mr goode is a TBHer I believe but I can't remember his username. Sorry.

I shot this beautiful collared peccaey at the chaparral WMA a few days ago. Never been frozen.

Let's start by browning the javelina for a couple minutes on each side and some oil. Most of the silver skin and fat has been removed. No seasoning at this point. I'm using one rear quarter and a back section with tenderloins and back strap on it.

Last edited by Chew; 01-19-2022, 02:38 PM.

Bring it.

Comment

Okay I already made a mistake. I should have deboned the meat before browning it to get more surface area. Correcting that now.

Comment

2 batches off browned chunks.

Now off to make the secret sauce. Will be back later

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Does it atleast smell good while you cook it?

Comment

Smells delicious. All you got to do when you clean it is make sure you wear gloves to yank the hide and don't touch the meat with your hands or your knife until you've cleaned them and changed gloves

Comment

I can almost smell the stench of rat from here. [emoji16]

Comment

Looks great, I think im gonna try some of mine tomorrow!

And that critter didn't smell at all when he was hangin on the cleaning rack!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                    Looks great, I think im gonna try some of mine tomorrow!

And that critter didn't smell at all when he was hangin on the cleaning rack!
                    Nobody wants to hear from you, covid man! You know the CDC says you can infect people over the internet right?

Comment

Secret sauce....

2/3 cup Modelo/does Equis type cerveza

4-5 cloves of garlic

3-4 Chipotle's in adobo sauce

4 oz can of green chili's

1/4 cup lime juice

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (internet says substitute marjoram if u don't have it)

2 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp ground cloves

Combine all of the above in a blender and puree it til smooth.

Comment

I'm using an instapot on manual for 60 minutes. If you don't have an instant pot you will have to use a dutch oven or crock pot until the meat is shreddable.

Put the brown meat into the instapot and pour in the secret sauce. Add three bay leaves and then mix it well.

Like I said, instant pot set to manual and 1 hour. After 1 hour you will release the pressure and then open it up.

Remove the bay leaves. Transfer all contents of the instapot or Crock-Pot or whatever to a large bowl and shred the meat with two forks. Pour some of the sauce out of the pot back into the meat and stir it well.

Serve with the homemade pico de gallo recipe below.

Maybe some queso fresco to crumble over your tacos, and some corn tortillas.

Mine is cooking now and I will give you a report when I'm finished..

Comment

Awesome...so, basically making a barbacoa with jave...Nice!

Comment

Homemade pico de Gallo....also stolen from The Goode Life channel.

2 cloves minced garlic

2 jalapenos (seeded if you're a Yankee or shoot a crossbow)

2 chopped Roma tomatoes

Chopped 1/2 white onion

Chopped tablespoon of fresh cilantro

Juice of 1 to 2 limes

Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients and let sit for an hour

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Nobody wants to hear from you, covid man! You know the CDC says you can infect people over the internet right?
                              Hey be nice to the sick man! . I bet the cdc would say that!

Comment

Working...
                              X