Smoking turkey question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking turkey question

Going to smoke my first turkey for Christmas. Going to ask the age ole question: low and slow, or hot and fast? I only have an electric smoker, so top temp is 275.

I did this one for Thanksgiving and it was awesome.

INGREDIENTS: 1 turkey 12-20lbs olive oil 3-4 tbsp 1 small red onion chopped finely 1 ½ cup brown sugar 1 jalapeno chopped finely 3 tbsp freshly chopped sage ¾ cup apple cider vinegar 2 small granny smith apples peeled and chopped 3 tbsp honey Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to cover entire turkey Smoked … Continue reading Honey Jalapeno Turkey→

Comment

No benefit going low and slow with poultry. Go 275°

Comment

I smoke turkeys at 275. Brine it. I also baste with butter about every hr. Stuff with onions, apples, pears, etc.

Comment

I throw mine in brine water for a day or two with my pork hind quarters then i put it on the pit at 225-235 and smoke for about 30 min per pound. always turns out perfect. if you don't brine you can just inject and that works great too.

Comment

I never go low and slow on any poultry like stated above. Crank it up to 275 and let it go. I personally think the wood used and injection is far more important than anything else

Comment

Originally posted by ca1219 View Post
              I never go low and slow on any poultry like stated above. Crank it up to 275 and let it go. I personally think the wood used and injection is far more important than anything else
              Plan on using apple wood or oak

Comment

Apple, Pecan, or Cherry is what I prefer for Turkey. Used Orange on a turkey and duck one Christmas and it turned out great.

Comment

Spatchcock the bird. Dry water off skin really well. Spray a bit of olive oil Pam. Liberally apply your favorite rub on top of the skin and in the cavities and creases. Smoke at 250° with hickory or oak, breast side up.
                  Liberally drizzle (don't brush) melted butter all over after 2 hours in, and again an hour later and drape a piece of foil over it (don't wrap). Smoke until 165° internal (about 5-6 hours depending on size but always go by internal temp). Pull the bird and set in large foil pan and let rest at least 30 minutes before cutting.
                  It will be the tastiest, juiciest turkey you ever made. Trust me on this!
                  No need for brine doing it this way.

Comment

I smoke mine hot and fast. Spatchcock (butterfly) and cook at 400°-425°. I can do a 20lbs turkey in about 2 1/2 hours. Best you've ever had.

Comment

Use some good fruit wood. 13 minutes per pound. grill- 250-275 temp. Internal temp- 165. Wrap with foil and towel. Rest in an ice chest.

Comment

Working...
                      X