Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Pastrami on rye. AKA "The Ruben"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
    X2 on homemade kraut. NO comparison with what is sold in store. I like a long ferment so it gets golden color

Wish I had source for fresh home grown cabbages - if anyone knows of source, let me know.

Has more water in them for better kraut making
    You have a good recipe? I got a crock that's about to finish some fermented pickles and need to fill it.

Comment

I’ve got a brisket in the freezer that may get this treatment. Have a recipe for the brine you used?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        I’ve got a brisket in the freezer that may get this treatment. Have a recipe for the brine you used?
        Treat your taste buds to an unforgettable experience: Chef Tom's 6-day-cured, Smoked Pastrami! Enjoy the tantalizing smoky flavors, sublime succulence and unbeatable texture of this indulgent delicacy.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          You have a good recipe? I got a crock that's about to finish some fermented pickles and need to fill it.
          A collection of 35 sweet, savory and spicy sauerkraut recipes - and Kimchi - from around the web. Eating sauerkraut daily can improve digestion.

I go the basic recipe.

Measure your salt and cabbage

Prefer a mandolin vs mechanical machine to shred. Right size

Knead the cabbage in salt to bring out the brine

Stuff and pack the crock. Put a cabbage leaf on bottom and on top before you put the weights in

I prefer the crocks that have a water moat to keep air out, yet let's it escape

My last batch due to temps stayed in crock for I think 6 weeks, maybe 8

I like it when it starts to become golden in color and a sweeter taste

When done, I transfer to picking jars and put in fridge

Last crock took 8 heads of cabbage

Comment

This convinced me to get one today for lunch. It was lame in comparison to Jason's Deli.....

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              I used the brine recipe on the amazingribs.com website. I use their bacon brine recipe to.

Comment

That looks amazing, will have to try to make pastrami some day.

Comment

Rubens are my all time favorite

Comment

Working...
                  X