No announcement yet.

Looking for: Gumbo Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you do , take the bones out of the pot.

Comment

Cajun-recipies.com
      4500 cajun family's recipies.

Comment

In a pinch the Louisanna fish fry gumbo base is a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The pre-made roux in a jar is good - follow the instructions and it will turn out good. The HEB close to me sells a couple different brands....I like Karre’s but savois’ is good too.

I do use chicken broth instead of water.

I can make a good gumbo from scratch but the roux in a jar is just as good to me and my family.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
            Ok you are right. Argue over a recipe. Have a great day at school tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Just having some good natured fun, didn't mean to get your dander up. No school due to covid and hurricane Laura destruction

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
              Cajun-recipies.com
              4500 cajun family's recipies.
              That's a lot of recipes and man they look good.

Comment

Here is one I have been using.

Comment

I make chicken gumbo using the Louisianna Brand gumbo base. I still make my own roux as well, but that base just has some really good seasoning that I can't seem to duplicate. But I do saute green onions, celery , and add other spices as well. And for the chicken meat, I usually debone whole chickens so there is both white and dark meat.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Bas...a-591811075415
                  Last edited by wickll; 09-23-2020, 12:43 PM. Reason: add

Comment

If you are not comfortable making a roux I would use Doguet's pre made roux in a jar. It's the best I had found. If time is not an issue make your roux using peanut oil. It makes a very good base. As stated above, NO tomatoes and NO celery!

Comment

Originally posted by CraigDarder View Post
                      If you are not comfortable making a roux I would use Doguet's pre made roux in a jar. It's the best I had found. If time is not an issue make your roux using peanut oil. It makes a very good base. As stated above, NO tomatoes and NO celery!
                      If you want a really good roux skip the oil and use bacon grease.

Comment

Need a good cool front soon with all this gumbo talk!

Comment

put some boiled eggs in there and let them soak up that flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
                            put some boiled eggs in there and let them soak up that flavor.
                            The way to do this is to poach the egg in the gumbo itself. Bring gumbo to rolling boil and turn off the fire so that the gumbo is hot but not rolling anymore. Then crack and gently drop your raw egg in the hot gumbo. Voila, poached eggs in da gumbo. Do not stir while eggs are poaching. In fact, this should be the last step, do not stir ever again lol.

Comment

I use CajunBlake's recipe and, it's awesome. I avoided making gumbo for years because the roux was hard to make. I follow Blake's microwave version. Tastes great and take 5 minutes.

Comment

I started using lard to make the roux whenever I don't have bacon grease. Makes a pretty dang good roux.

Comment

Working...
                                X